PDA

View Full Version : 4000 surplus M24 sniper rifles to be raffled off

Jeff L
01-08-2012, 02:54
http://www.guns.com/remington-and-the-us-army-are-surplussing-and-raffling-off-4000-m24-sniper-rifles.html

cplnorton
01-08-2012, 04:29
Man I want one!!!!

Keep us posted if you see anything on how to order one.

P. Greaney
01-08-2012, 07:41
Even at half the cost of a new M24 (system), I bet they won't be cheap.

Weasel
01-08-2012, 09:42
I bet they wont go to civilians, Obamma will see to that.

westgard
01-09-2012, 01:54
That's very cool. I went to their web site and wasn't able to find info about the actual raffle though, like where to buy tix. Maybe it's coming soon, it said mid-january.

GA-Dave
01-09-2012, 03:53
I looked also and when I didn't find anything, I sent them an email.

chuckindenver
01-09-2012, 07:25
you can buy a M24 right from Remington.. couple on GB right now,..

4F4Nam
01-09-2012, 09:11
Believe it says at the bottom that tix will be sold only at the Shot Show in Jan.?

Ed

chuckindenver
01-09-2012, 10:31
http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/m24.htm

Thaine
01-09-2012, 12:53
Hot Damn, I happen to be going to SHOT!! Guess I know where some of my mad money is going. Wish me luck (I don't gamble in Vegas, since I never win - my better half just takes what I put in the machines or tables out on the other side LOL) but this is different!
Thaine

holdover
01-09-2012, 01:33
be sweet if the CMP got them and sold them. I bet they will be way outside my retired beer budget!

Weasel
01-09-2012, 10:00
If I’m not mistaken, those M24’s that Remington has are for Law enforcement only.

Thaine
01-09-2012, 11:16
From the first link "They'll be taking 2,000 of these capable (and pre-customized by the soldiers who carried them) sniper rifles and selling them on a first-come, first-serve basis, with priority given to military snipers, active and reserve duty military, retired military, and law enforcement, respectively."
And from DefenseReview.com "Instructions for purchasing one of these M24s can be found at www.remingtondefense.com starting in mid-January 2012. Remington will initially limit sales of these complete systems to three distinct groups prioritized in the order below:

1. Military Snipers – Any current or former U.S. military sniper. All priority purchasers must provide a photocopy of a graduation certificate from a certified U.S. military sniper school (e.g. U.S. Army Sniper School, Special Operations Target Interdiction Course, etc). This group is not required to have a current U.S. military affiliation.

2. Active Duty, National Guard, and Reserve Military Personnel – Any member of any service currently serving in the U.S. military. Must provide proof of military eligibility. Inactive Ready Reserve members are not eligible for a purchase in 2012.

3. Retired Military Personnel – Any retired military member of any service holding a retiree identification card, whether through time in service or medical retirement.

Source: DefenseReview.com (http://s.tt/156yc)"

chuckindenver
01-10-2012, 08:15
in the early mid 1980,s Remington had the same deal on the first 700 PSS rifles, you had to be LE or Military with ID to prove it, in 1986 i picked up a new in the box Remington 700 PSS LE only from a pawn shop for 300.00 along with a couple other choice rifles, for great prices.
was told a DPD officer had pawned them and never came back to get them
i still own the Remington, and its one of my never sell rifles.... however,, Remington lifted the rule after 1989, though they did cheapen the rifles sold a bit.. says on my box LE only...but no place on the rifle is that marked..
right now, you can search GB, and find new in the BOX so called LE only M24,s and lay down the Ben Franks.. and have a real M24 sniper system...one that hasnt been drug though the rocks and dirt...unless you want a abused rifle for the history...i dont see the advantage.

GA-Dave
01-10-2012, 06:20
It is as close as you can come to owning a real issued M24. I bought a Rem. M40 Scout-Sniper for the same reason.

SPEEDGUNNER
01-10-2012, 08:07
The BIG print giveth, and the small print taketh away. Read the entire article in detail, you are getting parts, refurbished, refinished, rebuilt, on a newly manufactured receiver. Cool, but not really the real deal it appears to be at first.

Johnny in Texas
01-10-2012, 08:13
I bought the LE version about 7 years ago for 650.00 NIB and fitted it out to my liking with a Khales ZF95 for under 1500.00. That is a lot of extra cash to have M24 and 7.62 NATO stamped on it and the adjustable stock and swivels.

jgaynor
01-11-2012, 01:38
Apparently there is a wealth of bad information circulating on this sale. The raffle involves a single (as in one) rifle to be raffled off at the shot show.

The others (up to 2000) will be sold to priority customers as per Thaine's post above and delivered over the next 9 months to 2 years as they are assembled.

Regards,
Jim

Shooter5
01-11-2012, 02:49
http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/Firearms/Sniper%20Rifles/M24-Rebuild.aspx

I inquired about the program. Will have to see what are the available results.

tazaroo
01-11-2012, 06:17
Gotta love the 5 piece cleaning rod that comes with the kit. For some reason I bet those will be new and never used.

GA-Dave
01-11-2012, 06:28
According to Army Times, they will be $3500.

Cass
01-12-2012, 04:52
From the first link "They'll be taking 2,000 of these capable (and pre-customized by the soldiers who carried them) sniper rifles and selling them on a first-come, first-serve basis, with priority given to military snipers, active and reserve duty military, retired military, and law enforcement, respectively."
And from DefenseReview.com "Instructions for purchasing one of these M24s can be found at www.remingtondefense.com starting in mid-January 2012. Remington will initially limit sales of these complete systems to three distinct groups prioritized in the order below:

1. Military Snipers – Any current or former U.S. military sniper. All priority purchasers must provide a photocopy of a graduation certificate from a certified U.S. military sniper school (e.g. U.S. Army Sniper School, Special Operations Target Interdiction Course, etc). This group is not required to have a current U.S. military affiliation.

2. Active Duty, National Guard, and Reserve Military Personnel – Any member of any service currently serving in the U.S. military. Must provide proof of military eligibility. Inactive Ready Reserve members are not eligible for a purchase in 2012.

3. Retired Military Personnel – Any retired military member of any service holding a retiree identification card, whether through time in service or medical retirement.

Source: DefenseReview.com (http://s.tt/156yc)"

I just find it hard to believe that there will be anywhere near 2,000 buyers for these $3500 rifles among the 3 groups listed above. Maybe I am wrong.

tazaroo
01-13-2012, 04:32
I just find it hard to believe that there will be anywhere near 2,000 buyers for these $3500 rifles among the 3 groups listed above. Maybe I am wrong.

I think your right. I would fall into group 5 and I'm thinking about it but it's still a ton of cash. I just wonder the way it's worded if the "crappy" ones will be sold last.

Cass
01-13-2012, 10:42
I think your right. I would fall into group 5 and I'm thinking about it but it's still a ton of cash. I just wonder the way it's worded if the "crappy" ones will be sold last.

Somehow I am skeptical that Remington's motive is truly "To Honor our Veterans and Public Defenders".

In fact, I find the whole thing offensive. Why do the various priority "ranks" matter? Why do Federal Agents "rank' higher than State and Local Law Enforcement Officers.......and so on?

In my opinion, someone just spent a lot of time inventing an elaborate advertising scheme for the rifles.

Sorry to be negative, but it doesn't pass the sniff test to me.

P. Greaney
01-13-2012, 08:59
I have read some comments on this topic by members of the Navy team. They don't seem to be offended, rather they are interested, with some bemoaning the fact that they will likely be unable to afford one.

lonegunman762x51
01-15-2012, 11:03
I want one,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,now how to get twenty bucks worth of tickets?

riflegreen297
01-16-2012, 10:01
Since I fall into Priority I, I might drop the cash for one. One of my biggest concerns is the scope, is it a Leupold M3A?

P. Greaney
01-16-2012, 06:31
Since the Leupold M3A is the scope that is issued with the M24, I expect it will be the one sold with the M24 systems in question.
I base this supposition on my experience as a Naval Reservist. I have on numerous occasions worked at Small Arms at NSWC Crane. Most of my time was spent in the warehouse, where the various small arms arrive and are stored (sometimes for not very long) prior to being selected and sent over to the repair facility for rebuild.
All the sniper rifles, except for the M14 arrived with optics attached.
So, I expect the scopes will be the same ones that are on the rifles that the Army is turning in.

k arga
01-17-2012, 06:35
i think that there will be plenty of buyers from the first three groups and then 95%of them will very quickly will become sellers

Cass
01-18-2012, 05:10
i think that there will be plenty of buyers from the first three groups and then 95%of them will very quickly will become sellers

Ha! Probably true.

csm14thbn
01-18-2012, 01:18
I am in Cat 2 but at $3500 I dont know if I'd risk that. Then again I just spent that on a M1C with out a scope! It will be a tuff one to sell to the boss. The description is also very vague on exactly what accessories you will get.

"Each M24-R will feature a brand new M24 receiver, M24 24” 5R barrel, M24 fire control and possibly several additional new parts, as necessary to make the weapon safe and functional. The remainder of the weapon is primarily comprised of returned US Army M24 components to include the optics base, rings, optics, iron sights, deployment kit, sling, bipod and hard cases. Some of these parts may be new if sold as a complete system; however some components may not be present if not available. Serviceable system components will be used as returned from the Army, many of them painted by snipers. No special selections on paint schemes will be offered."

tazaroo
01-19-2012, 04:58
I am in Cat 2 but at $3500 I dont know if I'd risk that. Then again I just spent that on a M1C with out a scope! It will be a tuff one to sell to the boss. The description is also very vague on exactly what accessories you will get.

"Each M24-R will feature a brand new M24 receiver, M24 24” 5R barrel, M24 fire control and possibly several additional new parts, as necessary to make the weapon safe and functional. The remainder of the weapon is primarily comprised of returned US Army M24 components to include the optics base, rings, optics, iron sights, deployment kit, sling, bipod and hard cases. Some of these parts may be new if sold as a complete system; however some components may not be present if not available. Serviceable system components will be used as returned from the Army, many of them painted by snipers. No special selections on paint schemes will be offered."

It emphasizes new regarding the receiver but not new when it comes to the barrel. I would not want to spend the coin on one with a TE of 6!!

riflegreen297
01-19-2012, 05:46
According to the info off Remington Defense the rifles will also include a new M24 24" 5R barrel and trigger group.

http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/~/media/Images/RemingtonMilitary/product_photos/firearms/firearm_sniper_M24R_1.ashx

tazaroo
01-20-2012, 04:10
Thanks............I guess I read it wrong.

riflegreen297
01-21-2012, 07:01
tarazoo, I had to read it a few times myself. Barrel condition was another concern of mine. Do not want to pay that much for a keyholer.

Shooter5
02-12-2012, 02:34
Update:
Received the multi-page order instructions so here is an abbreviated rundown.

-Limit is 1 per person and must be retained for 1 year with a signed statement of non-resale for livelihood or profit.
-230 units approx currently available.
-Credit card must be used with all paperwork and transaction correct or the order will not be processed.
-5 categories of elgible personnel and currently only active duty snipers with proof are qualified until Jun 2012 and then the other categories open up in sequence.
-Components available are "M24 with new receiver, barrel and fire control. Used optics and mounts. Used stock and accompanying components. Used cases. New or used accessories.

Cass
02-12-2012, 08:23
"..........and must be retained for 1 year with a signed statement of non-resale for livelihood or profit."

So how do they plan to enforce that.......confiscate the rifle and give you your $3500 back??

Strange. Whoever dreamed this up had way too much time on their hands.

GA-Dave
03-19-2012, 02:27
Has anyone seen one yet? They're tempting, but that's a lot of money for a new rifle with real components added.

Rotor
03-21-2012, 12:52
This reminds me of what Springfield Inc did with the Israeli M14 Sniper Weapon System a couple of decades ago. They bought surplus M14 parts including stocks, scope, mounts and cases and put them on New SA inc semi receivers with a star of David on the heel. They painted the stocks with “black krinkle” and moved them out. No real provenance or refinements, just surplus Izzy parts on New receivers.

The marketing is great way to get top money for what has already been sold once. I wonder if the parts are going back to Remington under some R&D provision in a contract or are they buying them back.

JR

BravoSierra
04-26-2012, 05:47
I'll pass on this. When I first heard about it, I thought these were USGI not a new reciever, barrel, and trigger group, which really the most important parts. Which means the only authentic part of this deal is the stock and a few undetermined pieces? Riiiight. You can have a custom built long range thumper for the same coin. But that is my oppinion.

Cass
08-07-2012, 08:44
Did this sale just die or what? Not a word from anywhere that I have heard.

Has anyone heard of any being delivered?

Cass

P. Greaney
08-08-2012, 04:32
Currently being offered to group two.
I am not acquainted with any current or former snipers and have not read anywhere as to whether any or how many have been sold.

m1ashot
08-15-2012, 05:34
Seems like these surplus rifles should have been returned to CMP. Has anyone Asked Orest?

GA-Dave
08-15-2012, 12:24
Seems like these surplus rifles should have been returned to CMP. Has anyone Asked Orest?

Not really surplus rifles being sold by Remington. Remington is rebuilding the Army's sniper rifles. They take almost everything off of the receiver and use the old receiver for the new Army Sniper Rifle build. Remington is then using the surplus take-off parts with new receivers and barrels to replicate issue M24s.

When this was first announced I was going to jump on one. But know I think I'll stick to my replica M40 and save the $3000. If it was a real 24 I'd consider dropping that much money.

Has anyone seen one yet?

Cass
08-17-2012, 05:12

I actually did ask him that. He said no, but then again he doesn't like to get too "political".

Shooter5
12-08-2012, 10:14
I declined to purchase upon realization that its not really an M24; there is little connection to a USGI rifle because its just parts on a new receiver and possibly barrel.

Badgerord
12-09-2012, 10:38
I was at the USASOCOM sniper match last week and talked with the guys from Remington, they said they are just way behind due to open contracts, the 24's are coming just slow.

I do have a question, If you buy all the GI parts to an M1 Garand and assemble it is it a GI Garand?

These are real M24's, all the parts are take off parts with a New M24 marked receiver...now it (as a whole) was never issued, but its still an M24.

The reason these were not shipped to the CMP is the Army wanted to keep the serial numbers.

Marty
Badger Ordnance

Shooter5
12-10-2012, 11:41
Ah, yes, its more of semantics. True enough the rifle is a real M24, no doubt about it. What I intended to say in more detail is, that, the M24 they are selling can never be, say, the one I had because its receiver the purchaser gets was never USGI issue. It that sense, I am not interested because of the fact that due to US ATF type rules, the receiver is the 'firearm' since that is what has got the s/n. (As opposed to, say, other countries firearms laws which called the actual firearm something else, like the slide, receiver, barrel, etc or combination thereof).
What I would like is the actual real-deal rifle just like, say, the M1 Garand you can get at the CMP. Yes, you can get into yet another discussion about the small parts/barrel replacement/arsenal rebuild, etc but I would still not be interested. My Garand may have fought at Iwo or Berlin, the same cannot be said of the "M24" they are selling. Perhaps the barrel or trigger or stock, or combo thereof, etc fought in Baghdad but the receiver did not.

SPEEDGUNNER
12-10-2012, 06:56
So, WHO is selling these rifles, and for how much? Where would the average citizen get one?

Weasel
12-10-2012, 07:47
So, WHO is selling these rifles, and for how much? Where would the average citizen get one?

You can't.... At least for now.

GA-Dave
06-04-2013, 05:22
Still haven't seen one. Has anyone?

I tend to think of it differently. If I have an M14 parts kit and put it on an M1A receiver, I don't have an M14. I have a replica. This is the same scenario. M24 parts kit on a new receiver. Is a replica of an issue M24. The rifle wasn't actually an issue M24.

Others may think differently, but I prefer genuine issue equipment for my collection.

-Dave

Here's a link: http://www.defensereview.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/M24-Sales-Flyer-01-05-12.pdf
http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/en/Firearms/Sniper%20Rifles/M24-Rebuild.aspx

Steve(WA)
06-05-2013, 01:24
I put in for one over a year ago under the second category. Time passed, never heard anything from them. Remington did post on the website that the volume of applications and questions was high, so they were very behind. Finally, with no advance notice, my FFL called and said a "big box" had arrived.

It is like Dave said, new made receiver, bolt and barrel. Other parts are used USGI. Everyone will assign their own value, it is not for everyone for sure. To me, it is the closest a civilian can get to owning one. It is marked "M24". Bolt is almost as smooth as my NM 1903.

It is just like this picture, except the stock is used, has some spray painted camo, rack numbers, etc. It comes with the military packing crate (heavy), a bunch of extra parts, cleaning kits, etc.

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p504/steveffl/M24sniper_zps2d1de6a7.jpg (http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/steveffl/media/M24sniper_zps2d1de6a7.jpg.html)

GA-Dave
11-05-2013, 09:50
ANyone get one yet? I'd like to see pictures.

Steve(WA)
11-05-2013, 04:58
Dave... see the post just above yours. I got one last March. Looks just like that picture, marked M24, bolt stamped with serial number. Bolt, barrel and receiver new made, most of the other parts (some anyway) are USGI trade ins. Comes with the complete sniper type kit, tools, spare parts, bipod, cleaning kit, etc. Let me know if anyone wants actual pictures. Steve

Roadkingtrax
11-05-2013, 10:21
Dave... see the post just above yours. I got one last March. Looks just like that picture, marked M24, bolt stamped with serial number. Bolt, barrel and receiver new made, most of the other parts (some anyway) are USGI trade ins. Comes with the complete sniper type kit, tools, spare parts, bipod, cleaning kit, etc. Let me know if anyone wants actual pictures. Steve

I would like to see your rifle! :1948:

Steve(WA)
11-05-2013, 10:56
I will dig mine out tomorrow and get some pictures. The kit, rifle and all are just like these photo's (these are not mine, but kit is identical). The stocks will have different sprayed patterns as they are USGI trade ins. The kits all look like new stuff, the tools, cleaning kits, etc. The bipod, stock (maybe scope), chest and some other parts look used. I like the kit as a tribute to our brave Soldiers and Marines who use these, but realize that the real parts of the rifle are new built and have never seen service.

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p504/steveffl/M24Complete_zps01675bd5.jpg (http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/steveffl/media/M24Complete_zps01675bd5.jpg.html)
http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p504/steveffl/M24DeploymentKit_zps5ef8dd66.jpg (http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/steveffl/media/M24DeploymentKit_zps5ef8dd66.jpg.html)
http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p504/steveffl/M24RightFront_zps22f1f99a.jpg (http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/steveffl/media/M24RightFront_zps22f1f99a.jpg.html)
http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p504/steveffl/M24RightRear_zpsed0a124d.jpg (http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/steveffl/media/M24RightRear_zpsed0a124d.jpg.html)

Steve(WA)
11-06-2013, 07:30
Here are some pictures of mine. Same kit included as above. 10X Leupold fixed scope.
http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p504/steveffl/DSCN0342_zps7100671d.jpg (http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/steveffl/media/DSCN0342_zps7100671d.jpg.html)
http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p504/steveffl/DSCN0341_zpsb4daf5b2.jpg (http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/steveffl/media/DSCN0341_zpsb4daf5b2.jpg.html)
http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p504/steveffl/DSCN0340_zpsd3352bec.jpg (http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/steveffl/media/DSCN0340_zpsd3352bec.jpg.html)

Shooter5
11-08-2013, 08:42
The Marines use the M40; the Army issues the M24.

M1Garandy
11-09-2013, 06:49
Steve(WA) your PM box is full.

GA-Dave
11-09-2013, 07:25
Wow, those are nice looking rifles. Thanks for the photos. Has anyone shot theirs yet? I'm sure they will shoot well.

Steve(WA)
11-09-2013, 10:15
Cleared my inbox, thanks. They stack up quick!

John Sukey
11-10-2013, 09:13
Looks like they will be going for big bucks, I'll be happy with my L42A1

Steve(WA)
11-11-2013, 04:59
The original price was $3500 for the complete kit. I wish I could find a nice L42A1 for that money! That would probably be my favorite non-USGI sniper.

five 0
01-28-2014, 08:51
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_93/1269233_WTS_Remington_M24_Rebuild_____here_s_your_ chance__4500_OBO_shipped.html
It can be yours for 4500