PDA

View Full Version : M73B1 scope repair

Jim S.
01-19-2012, 06:38
I'm in the process of repairing my M73B1 Weaver scope after taking it out of the safe and hearing things rattle around in it. It turns out that the reticle ring (the part to which the cross hairs are attached) separated from the arm to which it is attached. I've soldered the ring back in place and put in new cross hairs. I’ll call this whole thing the reticle assembly (i.e., cross hairs, reticle ring, and reticle arm). (Note: These are my terms as I’ve been unable to find a parts diagram or manual for the M73B1.)

Tension on the elevation knob is due to upward pressure from the reticle assembly, i.e., it is bent such that it puts upward pressure on the knob and so as the knob is adjusted up the reticle assembly follows it in that direction.

My question is: What causes the reticle assembly to follow the windage knob as it is adjusted to the left? That is, as you adjust the knob (i.e., cross hair) to the right the knob pushes the reticle assembly in that directon, but I don’t see how an opposite force is applied that would cause the assembly to follow the knob as it is adjusted to the left.

I suspect that unless you’ve taken one of these scopes apart this won’t make much sense, but I thought that someone out there may be able to help.

Johnny in Texas
01-19-2012, 07:23
The spring tension should be at 45 degree angle to the center line of the adjustment knobs. Then it will push against both. I have done the same thing you are doing. You must put the ring back exactly in the same place or the crosshair will be out of alinement.

Jim S.
01-19-2012, 08:00
Johnny,
Thanks - you've answered my question!

I had forgotten that the reticle arm is placed at a 45 degree angle; thus, it is able to apply pressure to return the cross hairs both up and to the left.

It did take several trys to get the reticle ring on just right but I think I'm in good shape. Also, I was lucky to find someone with original cross hair wire.

I can see where it might have been expedient to use this scope at the beginning of the war but to have kept using it seems nuts. Its a cheap, fragile scope that should have been replaced early on. Further, the A4 rifle would become useless when one of these things broke since it had no iron sights. Oh well, it is what it is and a part of our history. And, I might add, I'm privileged to have one.

chuckindenver
01-19-2012, 08:27
Weaver 330 repair can be frustrating...when im working on one, i imagine some thick glassed old women hand soldering those cross wires in.. making it look easy...what i find frustrating.

purple
01-19-2012, 11:06
The 330 is a pretty sorry excuse for a scope, but we are talking 70 yr old technology. I keep mine in the safe and shoot my 03A4 with the superior Lyman Alaskan. Too bad Lyman wasn't able to turn out the required number of Alaskans to make them standard on the 03A4. The M81/M82 scopes for the M1C Garand were militarized Alaskans. I have a commercial Alaskan on my M1C as well and find that both of them work very well.

George in NH
01-19-2012, 01:07
Hi All,
Having gotten a "basket case" M73B1 in a trade, I sent it off to Iron Sight scope repair some months ago. Ten month back log of scopes (1200 in house) and $110.00 fee for repair. It is worth checking with Nicholaus (sp) Assoc. for FM and TM reprints for your use.
George in NH

Jim S.
01-20-2012, 04:50
George,
Thanks for the reference to Nicolaus Associates; I've bookmarked it. On a different subject, I will be doing a display on the M1 for our Veterans Appreciation Day this spring and will order a couple of the training posters.

jgaynor
01-20-2012, 04:52
There is list of repair services toward the bottom of the "free stuff" page. Its a few years old so calls or emails are probably in order. Its listed under "M84 Potential sources for repair" Althought he list is specific to the M84 most of the people on it are probably capable of at least relative simple repairs on an M73B1.

http://www.nicolausassociates.com/free_stuff.htm

Regards,
Jim