PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding my 1903 vintage sniper build

Dave in Pa
03-08-2012, 10:33
Question for someone more knowledgable than me.Does the 1903 with 8x Unertl require any type of modification to the rifle bolt.I know the scope will recoil forward but has to move some distance to clear the bolt.Any help or a picture would be appreciated.

I just watched the Hi Lux video from the SHOT show.The rifle Mike Sexton is showing appears to have a altered bolt handle and stock has been notched.
Just want to be sure.

jgaynor
03-08-2012, 01:16
Question for someone more knowledgable than me.Does the 1903 with 8x Unertl require any type of modification to the rifle bolt.I know the scope will recoil forward but has to move some distance to clear the bolt.Any help or a picture would be appreciated.

I just watched the Hi Lux video from the SHOT show.The rifle Mike Sexton is showing appears to have a altered bolt handle and stock has been notched.
Just want to be sure.

There is a picture in one of Peter Senich's sniping books where a tiny bit of relief had been ground into the bolt handle of one rifle. Probably a field mod done at the request of an individual.

PS: not to put to fine a point on it but the scopes on these rifles don't really move, They just appear to. It's actually the rifle that moves to the rear on recoil while the scope wants to stay right where it is in time and space. You can chamber a fresh round and then pull the scope back for the next shot. So bolt handle relief is only really needed for the first shot. :1948:

Regards,
Jim

Johnny in Texas
03-08-2012, 08:09
My '03 USMC Sniper does not have a modified bolt.