PDA

View Full Version : G-43 gas system question

Griff Murphey
03-11-2012, 08:50
Not that this is likely to get much attention on this board, but I own a DUV G-43 I have had since I traded Elmer Ballance my dad's hinky Winchester Win Lite M-59 shotgun for it in 1968. I have shot it periodically and even hunted with it over the years. I am interested in using it, for spits and grins, in 3 gun, and in CMP "sniper" shoots. Over on the Wehrmacht Rifle Community board I am getting a lot of advice that I need to put a gas system restrictor on it. Apparently some of those guys are actually scared to shoot their G-43s. "Apfeltor Waffenfabrik" has pictures of damaged ones fired with blanks, and he also makes a gas system restrictor that everyone seems to rave over. Now back when I acquired the rifle I remember the NRA handbook on firearms disassembly AND WHB Smith were both pretty generous in their praise of how accurate and robust (in spite of its cast-iron look) the rifle is.

Anyone else out there with one, and have you had or have seen damage/problems with normal use?

MJ1
03-11-2012, 11:14
I have lost a few extractor spring/pin retainers over the years using full power 198g bullets.

rayg
03-11-2012, 11:49
I had the safety fly off one and my buddy had a cracked bolt carrier. I don't shoot the one I have now, Ray

dave
03-11-2012, 02:46
I had one years ago, I shot it some but not thousands of rounds. Only problem it dented the neck on the brass real bad on ejection. I only used German surplus ammo from the war, cheap back then. Don't know how you could reload decent brass tho.

Gewehr455
03-14-2012, 06:25
They are overgassed rifles. If shooting full power military loads you will eventually damage the gun. I'd handload or put a gas system restictor on the rifle.

kar66
03-14-2012, 07:58
I have two a duv 44 and ac 44. I shoot both and never worried about it until I started reading these fourms. In fact the biggest probablem I had was finding ammo that would cycle the action. But I don't shoot corrosive ammo any more. I don't shoot mine a lot or very often and more. But they are both very accurate.

Griff Murphey
03-14-2012, 08:01
Mine has never really torn up brass, sometimes dented the mouth but then so do my M-1s and M-1As at times. I have a set of Wolff springs coming. Have not decided but I'm leaning toward buying the Apfeltor kit for the gas system. Basically I just shoot mild handloads and commercial.

I think I might be in Kar66's position after I put in those stiffer springs.... having to look for stiffer loads...

Michaelp
03-14-2012, 09:51
I don't shoot mine much anymore-too valuable.
In the old days it was hard to get $100 for one.
Pushing $3000+ for nicer ones nowdays.

They were a quick stop-gap design made hasily with not the best design consideration or materials.
Snipers preferred the old 98s for accuracy.

I would definately upgrade if I fired one very much.

MJ1
03-20-2012, 10:56
Gri9ff I would be careful of commercial ammo because the is no primarey extraction like the M1 or M14 to break the case from the chamber wall and the thin web on the case head can or will seperate. Still looking for the mags.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/montereyjack/9644901d.jpg

Griff Murphey
03-23-2012, 10:41
Thanks for everyone's advice. MJ - I have fitted my first ZB mag to the gun. It works fine, hand cycled. I should know, soon, how it will work live-firing. JMO... I would rather remove a broken case than use the full power stuff, especially questionable, old foreign ball.

Art
03-26-2012, 11:18
Gri9ff I would be careful of commercial ammo because the is no primarey extraction like the M1 or M14 to break the case from the chamber wall and the thin web on the case head can or will seperate. Still looking for the mags.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/montereyjack/9644901d.jpg

This is true of just about all European autoloaders before the AK 47. The Tokarevs, Ljungman's, SKS and StG 44 as well as the G43 rifles all used tilting bolts without primary extraction which could and did cause problems with full power cartridges like the 7.62x54mmr and 7.92x57mmIS. The gas system is copied (imperfectly) from the Tokarev system which wasn't a rousing success either. I agree that these rifles have become valuable to the point that I wouldn't put one through any heavy use.

Griff Murphey
03-26-2012, 06:41
Usually it is fun taking something out of the back of the safe and getting it set up to shoot a match as something different. This is turning into a real time and money pit. I reckon by the time I shoot this three gun between the stuff I bought from Apfeltor, the ZB-26 mags, and ammo, I will have almost 5 bills in this brilliant idea. The only bright spot is that if I spend $400 more I can put a Meopta ZF 4 and repro mount on it... For a CMP Vintage sniper shoot.