PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Alaskan

George in NH
03-19-2012, 09:40
Hi All,
Is there anyway to determine how much of the target is obscured by the vertical
post in the Lyman Alaskan? I have mounted this scope to my 03AForgery for use at Camp Perry this year. Since some competitors have reported that there is little if any time to "turn the dials" between shots they are using "holding off" for wind. So, I need to find out the value of the vertical post for three and six hundred. My scope is in the 29 thousand serial range and is probably post war make. TIA........George in NH

Entry Level
03-19-2012, 01:46
I would suggest making 1 2 and 3 inch wide strips of tape, of a color different than the cross hairs, on a 100 yard target. Depending on which stripe is occluded you will know minute value of post. The cross hairs on my new Malcom scope on the Gibbs are about 1 minute @ 100 yards. When I shot at 300 yards the 3 inch paster was just covered. Really I think it is a matter of approximately with holdoffs, scope reticule is black and it is very difficult to measure with it given the 20 second time limit per shot. The target is black adding to the difficulty. My 2 cents worth.

George in NH
03-21-2012, 12:14
Entry Level
Sir,
Thank you for the idea to make dedicated strips in various lengths! Something I might have thought of much later and after "spinning my wheels". By "paster" I think you mean the three inch shot spotter that is white on one side and black on the reverse. George in NH

Entry Level
03-21-2012, 02:17
George,
I used an orange square, 3x3, to help me hold on the target. I shot today at 600 yards and painted a 6 inch white circle on a black target. the circle was almost covered suggesting my reticule is 1 minute at 100 yards.

pelago
04-17-2012, 11:27
should not have a problem i have one and at 600 the spotter disk is quite visible and put that sucker on it, and that was you call then you will pop the spotter disk, shot 7 X's in a row at 600 doing tht