PDA

View Full Version : First use of WW2 marine sniper rifle with unertl scope

kaleu
07-13-2012, 03:32
. I have been searching and the first use I can find is Nov 1943 Third Marine Div Bouganville. Would be very thankful if somebody can up date that. I have not checked any book source only the internet. Thanks for your help.... kaleu

pmclaine
07-13-2012, 01:21
There are films from Tarawa of the M1941 in use. That was Nov 20-23, 1943

kaleu
07-13-2012, 04:31
There are films from Tarawa of the M1941 in use. That was Nov 20-23, 1943Tarawa Atoll. 2nd Marine Div which fought on Guadalcanal after being refitted with M1 rifles , BAR etc.. That was 76 hours of hell with the tide and reefs. I did see that there was a platoon of scout snipers in the battle and guess thats where the 03/sniper rifle and pic came into play. About 1,100 good marines gave there life on that little sandy atoll. Believe thats where General Smith said " issue still in doubt" after the first day of fighting . No words can express how gallant those marines were ..................... thks for your response pmclaine......... kaleu

pmclaine
07-15-2012, 06:05
You are welcome.

Semper Fi.

Jeremy
07-29-2012, 08:51
Met one of the scouts from the Scout Plt 8t Marines back '02 while I worked at the USMC Museum. He went ashore to the left of the Pier on Red Beach. Said he only made one shot with the scope..rest of the time he kept it in the Micarta case. His one scoped shot was at a jap that had infiltrated past them and was in one of the "outhouses" that extended out in surf. He said it was less than 200yds and they didn't have any trouble from there anymore.

Gent looked like anyones "gramps", bent over, glasses..had suspenders holding his pants up and walked with a cane real reserved. About 15 min into the conversation he changed....he sounded just like anyone of the Marines I know at the barracks..he was cussin' and swearing' and having a good old time. Finally took him back to the Admin building and drew out an M-1941 to let him see....he pointed out everything on it (correctly I might add) and showed us how to pull the scope back in place after every shot...

When he finally left...he was "gramps" again. GOod times while I was there..lots of characters coming back to visit!

usmc69
07-29-2012, 11:06
Tarawa Atoll. 2nd Marine Div which fought on Guadalcanal after being refitted with M1 rifles , BAR etc.. That was 76 hours of hell with the tide and reefs. I did see that there was a platoon of scout snipers in the battle and guess thats where the 03/sniper rifle and pic came into play. About 1,100 good marines gave there life on that little sandy atoll. Believe thats where General Smith said " issue still in doubt" after the first day of fighting . No words can express how gallant those marines were ..................... thks for your response pmclaine......... kaleu

No, it was at Wake Island that the phrase Issue in doubt was used. http://www.cv6.org/1941/wake/wake_2.htm .

It was Col. David Shoup http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/shoup.htm. That said at Tarawa "Casualties many. Percentage dead not known. Combat efficiency — we are winning."
http://www.ww2gyrene.org/WW2Gyrene-tarawa-shoup.htm

TW56
08-02-2012, 08:36
Does anyone know where one could find a copy of the picture showing two USMC snipers side by side using Unertl scoped 1903's ? The picture I am looking for has the left Marine using a finger grooved 1903 stock.

TW56

Garden Valley
08-02-2012, 09:21
Met one of the scouts from the Scout Plt 8t Marines back '02 while I worked at the USMC Museum. He went ashore to the left of the Pier on Red Beach. Said he only made one shot with the scope..rest of the time he kept it in the Micarta case. His one scoped shot was at a jap that had infiltrated past them and was in one of the "outhouses" that extended out in surf. He said it was less than 200yds and they didn't have any trouble from there anymore.

Gent looked like anyones "gramps", bent over, glasses..had suspenders holding his pants up and walked with a cane real reserved. About 15 min into the conversation he changed....he sounded just like anyone of the Marines I know at the barracks..he was cussin' and swearing' and having a good old time. Finally took him back to the Admin building and drew out an M-1941 to let him see....he pointed out everything on it (correctly I might add) and showed us how to pull the scope back in place after every shot...

When he finally left...he was "gramps" again. GOod times while I was there..lots of characters coming back to visit!

"suspenders holding his pants up..." ?? Pants??? Marines don't wear pants! Only women and sailors wear pants!!! :-)

jgaynor
08-04-2012, 03:53
Does anyone know where one could find a copy of the picture showing two USMC snipers side by side using Unertl scoped 1903's ? The picture I am looking for has the left Marine using a finger grooved 1903 stock.

TW56

I think it appears in Senich' USMC SCOUT SNIPER IN WWII AND KOREA. Full pistol grip stocks were to be used "if available" or the GG stocks may have been field replacements.

Regards,
Jim

Marine A5 Sniper Rifle
08-04-2012, 06:07
The marines had the Unertl scoped rifles long before the war started, and I suspect they used them in their first engagement.

I have a copy of that picture, but it may take a while to weed through the hundreds of photos I have.

jt

Tom in N.J.
08-09-2012, 04:10
TW56,.. here it is...

TW56
08-09-2012, 07:24
TW56,.. here it is...

Tom J., I ordered a "download" from the web site.

Thanks, TW56
Ross

Mike Hull
08-10-2012, 01:44
Interesting that the Sniper on the right has not yet pulled his scope back into battery. The thrill of it all, I guess.

jgaynor
08-12-2012, 02:32
TW56,.. here it is...

FWIW The caption on this picture of the two snipers indicates it was taken on Okinawa in May of 1945.

Regards,
Jim

TW56
09-01-2012, 10:14
Looking at the picture of the two Marines with the Unertl scoped 1903's , the far rifle's safety appears to be at the 12 o'clock position.

TW56
Ross

jmm03
09-08-2012, 07:09
[http://www.ovguide.com/with-the-marines-at-tarawa-9202a8c04000641f80000000011d2e65
at 08:45 there is a marine using a springfield with a unertl. Jim

Marine A5 Sniper Rifle
09-09-2012, 11:40
I saw that in the video also. Interesting video series.

jt