PDA

View Full Version : Pig sticker problem

Barryeye
01-22-2013, 08:29
1970319704197051970619707Gentlemen. There has never been a theme to my knife collecting. I go with what appeals to me and I can afford. When this one came my way it was in poor condition but it immediately appealed to me. Just over 13.5 inches long it is a big solid knife but surprisingly well balanced and comfortable to hold. Spanish made, it was designed for pig sticking as the etching indicates. The slab sided grips are made of a hardwood and appear to be riveted to the tang. Here lies the problem. After cleaning up the knife I discovered the grips were a fraction loose. Nothing that affects its usefulness but annoying none the less. A paper thin sliver of light is just visible between the grips and tang. Any ideas as to how I can cure this annoying rattle?
Barry

m1ashooter
01-22-2013, 09:39
Might try a shim of brass on either side.

Barryeye
01-22-2013, 11:19
Might try a shim of brass on either side.

Thanks for your input m1ashooter.

Forgive me but how do I get a brass shim inbetween the tang and grips? The gap is very very slim. I have just tried to get a sheet of A4 printer paper in the gap and can't.

SMOKEY
01-23-2013, 04:27
This is a SWAG but is there enough room to inject say some kind of epoxy mix to adhere to the scale and the metal? Just a crazy old fellas idea

joem
01-23-2013, 05:23
Might try dipping the handle end in BLO for a half hour, then wipe excess of the metal. It may fill the gap and tighten it up.

Barryeye
01-23-2013, 07:13
Two good ideas. I thought of the glue one as well but could not come up with a way to inject it into the very small slot. I think BLO thinned with turps could do the trick and would do no harm. Thank you Smokey and Joem.

P.S. I give up. What does SWAG stand for?

SMOKEY
01-23-2013, 12:11
Sir, in the communications field it stood for "scientific wild ass guess"

m1ashooter
01-23-2013, 12:36
All are great ideas. You might be able to find some of the brass or silver inlaying ribbon, that you could tap into the gap and then file off.

http://www.redaviscompany.com/accessories.html

Barryeye
01-23-2013, 12:50
Handy link m1ashooter. I'll see what I can find on this side of the pond. Thanks Smokey SWAG will be a useful phrase as well.

4F4Nam
01-23-2013, 04:38
Barry;
My first thought would be to try and tighten the rivets. Maybe a few love taps with an appropriate sized punch with the opposite side supported could tighten things up.

Ed

Barryeye
01-24-2013, 01:18
The rivets are hollow Ed and could be stainless steel. Not sure what kind of punch one would need. I am a bit concerned about splitting the hard wood grips.

Dan Shapiro
01-25-2013, 09:04
Barryeye:

One other SWAG - seeing as the gap is so small and the rivets are hollow. Throw the knife in a freezer for a few days, see if you can get the metal rivets to contract on themselves. Might be just enough to get rid of the minute slop.

Barryeye
01-25-2013, 12:08
I am always happy to try a low effort solution Dan but have to ask why making the rivet diameter smaller will help. Would this not make the grips looser? Chances are that I have missed something here. Physics is not my strong point.

Dan Shapiro
01-25-2013, 01:32
The grips are 'loose' as the hardwood (dense as it is) has contracted over time. Rather than tap the rivets to tighten them up; and seeing that they are hollow to begin with (more surface area exposed); subjecting the rivets to freezing temperature will cause the metal to contract, making the rivets pull tighter. Hopefully (SWAG), when back out of the freezer they won't expand back to their original dimensions.

Barryeye
01-30-2013, 01:38
Got it. Thanks. In the freezer now.

Hecklerusp45
01-31-2013, 07:00
I have got to hear how this one turnes out. Please let us know how the "ice knife" idea works.

Barryeye
02-03-2013, 12:15
I have got to hear how this one turnes out. Please let us know how the "ice knife" idea works.

Checked after a few days and I thought I detected a small improvement. It is back in the freezer again. Well wrapped in plastic I just hope my wife does not try to defrost it for dinner.
Barry

Griff Murphey
02-04-2013, 04:53
Krazy (alpla-cyanoacrylate) glue but be careful. Maybe find a really good model builder to flow it in; capillary action will pull it in. It will leave a glossy trail if it flows out onto the external surfaces. You may be able to carefully paint a release agent on either side of the gap. I have used white glue (Elmer's) mixed with a few drops of dish detergent and food coloring to mask off paint. Let it dry, it peels up like rubber. Just better check with the glue on another substance before using the glue on the knife. You could also carefully apply Vaseline with a cotton tip applicator.

Barryeye
02-08-2013, 07:00

Well after 8 days in the freezer and I have just removed the knife. I have to say that the rattle is no better. Indeed it could be a fraction worse but I am sure it will return to its original state when it gets back to room temperature. When it does I’ll try the BLO soak idea.Not a waste of time and the slight increase in the gap size may allow more BLO to get in. Strange as it may sound the grain on the hard wood grips appears to look more distinct after the freezing treatment.

Dan Shapiro
02-08-2013, 08:02
Too bad it didn't work out. The BLO may be soaked into the grips and expand them, or the BLO will crystallize under the grips and fill the gap. Warm the grips up in the sunlight before applying, use toothpicks or something to keep the gap open while applying. Good luck!

Barryeye
02-08-2013, 09:02
Too bad it didn't work out. The BLO may be soaked into the grips and expand them, or the BLO will crystallize under the grips and fill the gap. Warm the grips up in the sunlight before applying, use toothpicks or something to keep the gap open while applying. Good luck!

Thanks Dan. I didn’t heat the grips up but at the moment they are soaking in a 50/50 mix of warm BLO and turps. It is a nice warm summer’s day here and the jar with the knife handle in is out on the back deck. I’ll wait till the day gets cooler before I remove it. I assume that a few hours in the oil mix will do no harm. Note grain on grips after freezer time.

Dan Shapiro
02-08-2013, 09:27
Do you know what kind of wood that is? Looks cool!

I'd forgotten. You blokes are upside down, it's summer there!

Barryeye
02-08-2013, 11:51
I have no idea what kind of wood it is. Unnaturally dark I wonder if it could also be laminated. I have just removed it from the oil mix and there is no doubt that there is an improvement but not 100% yet. Of course it may well get better once the oil has dried or set. I have decided to give it longer in the oil and have put it back to soak. I’ll leave it until tomorrow afternoon to give the sun a chance to do its thing.
Yes it is summer on our side of the planet but don’t be envious it is your turn next.

Barryeye
02-12-2013, 10:46
I am pleased to report that the soak in BLO idea has solved my problem and the grips no longer rattle.Thanks joem. However it took three days for the BLO to harden. I came close to reporting the method as a failure. When it first came out of the oil and appeared dry there was no noticeable improvement. This morning when I picked it up I was unable to make the grips rattle no matter what I did. Light is still visible in places between the tang and grips but no movement. Grips also look darker but better for the BLO soak.Thanks to all that contributed.
Barry

Dan Shapiro
02-13-2013, 11:09
BLO hardens more over time, so the cure should get even better.