PDA

View Full Version : M1C mount question

ggordon
02-23-2013, 07:45
I have a CMP service grade M1C and an original Griffin + Howe mount. The bracket serial # matches the rifle. I assumed that the mount would slide off and on easily so snipers could remove it in the field if needed. I had to mount mine with a few deft whacks with a wood mallet. Is this normal?

Cass
02-24-2013, 07:45
I have several rifles and mounts and have not encountered any combination that required that kind of force to mount. Some are tighter than others but they just require a firm push with the thumb. I do like to apply a light film of grease on the bracket.

Dave

ggordon
02-25-2013, 01:40
Thanks for the response. I had use a thin film of gun oil but I'll try some grease

snipershot1944
02-26-2013, 01:33
The g&h mounts are adjustable. Simply remove the two tiny lock screws on the left side of the mount, twirl the knobs till they are loose, put the mount on the base and then tighten the knobs. Then put the lock screws back in place and you can loosen or tighten the mount with a half turn of the lever.

Johnny in Texas
02-26-2013, 03:28
Some mounts are too tight with the levers loose.

ggordon
02-26-2013, 04:55
When I first bought the G+H mount, I removed the screws, locking levers and clamping plate, cleaned and degreased it. I applied a liberal dollop of gunoil but still had to "encourage" it in place with a wood mallet. I'm wondering if someone tried to accurize it by compressing it a bit in a vise like they used to do to accurize 1911 slides. No matter, it's on the rifle and serves its purpose well.