PDA

View Full Version : Identifying an 1903-A4

CHW2021
03-26-2013, 07:35
I bought a sporterised (supposedly) 1903-A3 from an old gent who was moving several years ago, it has largely sat in my safe untouched. the gun has a Leupold 1pc scope mount and 1" rings mounted in a normal sporting rifle position. I took the rifle to the range last weekend, it shot very well with HXP ammo; my friend looked at it when he shot it and asked about the gun and pointed out the dovetail under the scope base and asked if it was an 03-a3 or a4. I have looked about at posts on this forum and others and am not sure. The bolt is "R" marked and seems to be ground concave on the handle (it is black parkerized) and the mount covers the maker stamp and any model info on the receiver. The barrel has a hooded front sight soldered on and only shows the last number of "3" so I suppose it is a 1943 date. The rifle is green parkerized and has tool marks down it's length. What are any positive marks or traits that would tell me this rifle is an A4? I do have the issue stock, it was duffel cut but has all metal present.
The story is that I bought the gun from Hank Bender, his son Todd was given the rifle by a Major and he set it up for his dad to deer hunt with. This is all I know, I am familiar with standard service rifles from many countries but have not had any exposure to the less common weapons. Any help would be appreciated.

Johnny in Texas
03-26-2013, 07:52
M1903A4 's have the nomenclature stamped on the left side of the receiver so it is readable with the scope mount in place. Your is not an A4 from your description.

CHW2021
03-26-2013, 08:29
I am not familiar with any of the sniper rifles (out of my price range) at all. The bolt does seem to fit the description, what do I need to know about that? Could you post a picture of the handle?

Johnny in Texas
03-26-2013, 08:47
It could have an A4 bolt or a gunsmith modified bolt. Post some pics please. The receiver is what makes it an A 4and you don't have an A4 receiver.

daveboy
03-27-2013, 05:59
I am still learning about A4s also. But, I learn all my lessons backwards. I was fortunate enough to recently pick up a genuine A4 and I knew that is what it was because with the scope mount in place, I could read the receiver markings and S/N. From what I have learned, there are many, many A4 "forgeries" out there, but that is the one definite way to spot an authentic one. That doesn't detract from the fact that a "forgery" can make a very nice rifle. Gibbs is making millions of dollars right now selling "forgeries." I was even considering buying one, but I got a steal on the genuine article.

You can see in the photos of my A3 and A4 how the receiver markings are on the top of the ring on the A3, but the ID is on the left of the A4 and the SN is on the right. I found it interesting that a genuine A4 actually is identified as an A3 on the receiver ring, but it is in a different location. Also, you can see the shape of the A4 bolt.

daveboy

jgaynor
03-27-2013, 10:37
All real A4s were made by Remington in 1943 or 1944.
All real A4s have the distinctive receiver markings separated so as to be readable with the scope base attached.
All A4's fall into one of three serial number ranges:

3,407,088 to 3,427,087
Z4,000,001 to Z4,002,920
4,992,001 to 4,998,59X (the precise last number is unknown. Some references cite A4 serial number ranges as high as 4,999,045. However no authentic rifles have been observed in that range.)

CHW2021
03-29-2013, 09:12
Thanks, the pictures help a lot. I am having issues getting photos off my phone, post them when I can. I am leaning towards the bolt being a4 and the rifle an 03. I am sure there were spare bolts available.

Johnny in Texas
03-30-2013, 10:31
here are some A4 bolts