PDA

View Full Version : 03a4

Cecil
05-19-2013, 03:39
I've owned several 03a4's over the years but I finally found a setup I really like. I sold all my M1a's a couple years ago so I find myself with what I thought was an excess scope. I was looking through Harrison's book the other night and noticed something I had never seen before. He mentioned using the ART II on an A4. So I had to do it. I've got the M73B1, the M81, the M84 and a K-4 60B but I have to say I really like the ART II on the .30-06

cplnorton
05-20-2013, 07:50
I bet that would be fun to shoot. By the way a nice A4. Looks all original and not rebuilt. I have one but it's a SA rebuild. I've been looking for one that hasn't been rebuilt, but it seems everyone I find for sale has had something done to it or the stock has been heavily sanded.

Cecil
05-20-2013, 11:15
Thanks, I was real lucky. I built a reproduction A4 because I could'nt find what I wanted. Shortly after finishing the thing it seemed like original A4's were falling from the sky. I ended up owning eight in short order. Over the years I sold them all except this rifle because I think the only action it ever saw was movement within an Armory. My mantra has always been "I keep the best and sell the rest".

4F4Nam
05-24-2013, 06:45
Okay, so I'm stupid. I would like to have the option of a 1"/30mm tube on my A4, but what rings do I need to fit the Redfield base?
TIA

Ed

Darreld Walton
05-24-2013, 10:45
I'm a bit confused. Do you want 1" OR 30mm rings?
Leupold's will fit the Redfield base just fine. Watch for clearance at the handguard, AND, where that mounting puts your head.
I put a 30mm, 6-24X Burris Black Diamond with 50mm objective on my A4 in a set of Swarovski's that I got in trade. The clearance was razor thin, and still, the scope sat so high that the rig was unuseable. I tried to shoot a group, but could not get a cheek weld, and gave up on the notion.

Cecil
05-25-2013, 03:50
Good point you can make any scope fit any rifle but will it work. Fortunately the ART II is one that works. I would like the elusive MC -1 scope but I think Johnny in Texas has them all stashed away.

4F4Nam
05-26-2013, 09:26
Sorry for any confusion. I should have said 1" OR 30mm. All my scopes to date are 1" tubes, so that is what I most likely will use. Probably a 3-9 X 40mm Leupold. In your opinion should I start with medium rings?

Ed

Cecil
05-26-2013, 09:42
The rings on the ART II are Leupold high rings. IIRC it's a 40mm. You can judge from the photo the amount of space.

Johnny P
05-26-2013, 01:29
Don't you lose the ranging ability of the scope without the base? Doesn't the cam on the scope rotate against the base, raising and lowering the back os the scope to give you the ability to quickly choose a different range?

Several years back some of the Redfield Art I scopes were sold, but the bases had been removed. Without the base it would no longer range.

Cecil
05-26-2013, 01:43
The ART II is definetly an improvement over the ART I

Johnny P
05-26-2013, 04:11
I agree that the Art II was better than the Art I, but in your set up the ballistic cam no longer works, that I can see. The base is an integral part of the scope system, and without the base you just have a heavy variable scope with no ranging capability.

http://i44.tinypic.com/vggg4.jpg

Cecil
05-26-2013, 04:26
It's still a very reliable 3x9 variable. A thousand times better than the M73B1 or any M81, M82, or M84 I've used on A4's. Just means I have to do things the regular way.

4F4Nam
05-28-2013, 10:13
Thanks all. I will give it a try when I can pick up some rings. I guess I was always told that new rings had a different foot size than the older ones. Like Cecil, I was never very impressed with the M-84 that came on my rifle. I switched it out for an Alaskan, but still need more power for old tired eyes.
Thanks again.

Ed

Tony-in-NH
05-29-2013, 03:36
Good point you can make any scope fit any rifle but will it work. Fortunately the ART II is one that works. I would like the elusive MC -1 scope but I think Johnny in Texas has them all stashed away.

Not all of them.

Cecil
05-29-2013, 12:25
Very true Tony. I was including Bubba in my statement. I've seen some mighty strange setups.

pelago
06-04-2013, 11:43
not sure i understand all that i need to know, is this rifle built to compete at CMP sniper match, if so i dont think it would be legal, but that i no way indicates it is not a beautiful piece of work, but all of my references do not use that scope for the A4
my A4 is redfield jr base, with correct rings (vintage that came off a original A4) Lyman Alaskan, remington 03a3 (1942) and vintage "c" stock

4F4Nam
06-04-2013, 06:52
Thanks to Cecil and Mr. Walton! My A4 is now wearing a Leupold 3-9 X 40mm. I was able to use Leupold medium rings to get proper cheek weld, handguard and bolt handle clearance. However I do not have safety clearance. When I find out if I can shoot it better (and it will shoot better) with this setup, I have a set of high rings I can install. I will try to post pictures and range report soon.
Sorry for my ignorance, but was always under the impression that modern rings would not work on the Redfield Jr. base.
PS .......Found my rear base screw was loose during this switch.

Ed

06-08-2013, 12:25
for about $800 I have had made up a put together 1903A4.
Alaskan all weather scope with redfield scope base. C stock and turned down bolt.
Shoots good too.