PDA

View Full Version : What rings?

GregU
06-22-2013, 06:42
When using a Weaver K2.5 scope on an A4 repro, what rings are used with the 1pc Redfield mount? Most of the rings I see are 7/8" or 3/4" and the Weaver is 1" right? Thank you.

chuckindenver
06-24-2013, 06:05
any 1 inch ring can be used

GregU
06-24-2013, 04:17
OK, I guess I was trying for an easy answer without looking! What I wondered, is there a "specific" 1" ring set number that is compatible with a 1pc Redfield 03A3 mount? I was wondering what everyone uses that builds an 03A4 with a 1" Weaver K2.5 scope. There's lot's of 3/4" and 7/8" rings on the auction sites, but I never see any 1" rings. I thought maybe the builders out there might have a ring set "model number" that is "just perfect" for a build.

holdover
06-24-2013, 06:28
the standard 1 " redfield/ leupold rings fit the redfield 1903A4 type mount. You can buy them at midway etc. They will not be in the style of the 3/4" & and 7/8" rings with the single clamping screw, but they work and are legal for competition

chuckindenver
06-25-2013, 06:09
dont over think it,, dont over build it.
KISS

jgaynor
06-25-2013, 06:15
Greg it should not be much of a problem with a K2.5. The only thing to be concerned about is the height of the rings. For a scope with a very large objective lens high rings might be necessary. For a k2.5 Low rings should be fine and are desirable keeping your eye low to the axis of the bore.

Regards,
Jim

GregU
06-25-2013, 06:58
Yea, I probably was overthinking it! I knew there was the standard 1" rings that holdover mentioned but that seemed too easy. I thought there might be a set like the original style that I should go for instead. If I use a K2.5 would a medium height ring set it up high enough to use the safety? Or won't I be able to use the safety at all with the larger objective? I don't want to go any higher than a medium ring. Thanks to all. Greg

jgaynor
06-26-2013, 08:58
I don't think you will be able to mount the K2.5 far enough forward to allow you use the safety. The Lyman Alaskan can be mounted with the W&E turrets forward of the front ring and the safety clears the eyepiece to the rear.
I don't think its possible to do this with the K2.5 at least not without modifying the rings to provide additional fore and aft clearance.

Regards,
Jim

chuckindenver
06-26-2013, 04:38
safety works just fine, use meduim hight rings. and a well done bolt...youll be fine.

km7396
07-10-2013, 10:57
I put one together and have shot the CMP vintage sniper matches twice with it. I used new medium height rings and haven't had any issues with them...meaning it passed the CMP inspection both times and there were no function issues with the rifle. If low rings will work (with the bolt), you could try those it might make it a bit more comfortable to shoot. For the sniper matches, the safety isn't used anyway.