PDA

View Full Version : Help with sweedish m38

GBEAR1
07-14-2013, 04:14
I was looking at a very clean {96%} m38 for sale. Huskvarna 1942. I cant remember if the bolt was turned down or not. All nos matched. It had a removable cap on the muzzle. There were import markings on the side of the barrel. It had a tin plate attached to the stock with elevation markings as well as a brass disk with 3 crowns stamped in the disk instead of the typical barrel condition markings. Firstly What do the crowns mean? I have been wanting to buy a nice sweede for a while now. But I want to make sure it is all original and not a rebuild. What is the going REAL WORLD fair price range on these rifles now? I am planning to look at it again this morning and I may buy it. Thanks in advance for any help on this.

dave
07-14-2013, 05:04
I have not seen these short rifles for sale in MI like 3-4 yr ago. When I do the asking is in the 350 and up range (usually up), do not know selling prices, don't own one. A 42 Husk should have a bent bolt as these were new made as M-38's. Straight bolt versions are converted from M-96's. The disks cannot be relied on to be correct--may have been changed or last inspection made years ago. The rifles are almost always in excellent condition. The Crowns are merely part of the Swede national symbol, evidentently this rifle never had an inspection.

JimF
07-14-2013, 08:47
From the standpoint of a handloader . . . .

A "true" M38 rifle . . . . as manufactured . . . . is to be prefered over a converted M96, 'cause the throat will be much SHORTER than the M96 throat! Bullet will have less "freebore" ! --Jim

dave
07-14-2013, 12:53
Because of the change in bullet style?

JimF
07-15-2013, 08:48
Because of the change in bullet style?

Yes.