PDA

View Full Version : USMC KBAR by Camillus Question

usmc69
07-17-2013, 06:22
Was given a USMC marked K-Bar made by Camillus today by a former Marine. He had picked it up in 1954 when he joined the Corps. The guard is marked CAMILLUS, NY on the right side of the blade guard. On the lower portion of the guard you can see .S.M.C. It is not marked like the Camillus knives were when I was on active duty. No reason to disbelieve the gentleman as to the dating. Anyone confirm or give further info?

sac troop
07-18-2013, 02:17
The 1219C2 pattern knife came into being during WW2. Union Cutlery,(KA-BAR), Camillus, PAL, and Robeson produced this knife under U.S. Government contracts.
Both the U.S. Navy and the U.S. Marine Corps had individual contracts for these knives.
The Navy called it the MK2, the U.S.M.C. called it the Fighting Utility knife.
Late during WW2 the specifications were changed to the 1219C2 knife to move the stampings from the knife blade to the guard. Three of the contractors had already filled their contracts with the Marine Corps for these knives by that time. Camillus still was delivering knives to the Marine Corps after this change occurred. As a result most of the guard marked 1219C2 knives you’ll come across will be marked U.S.N. .
In August of 1945 the Government cancelled virtually all of it’s open knife contracts. We had so many of the 1219C2 knives in Government inventory that no new contracts for these knives were awarded until 1960. Camillus was awarded it’s next Government contract for the 1219C2 pattern in 1962. From 1962 to 1974 these contract knives were marked U.S./ Camillus N.Y. on the blade in two lines. In 1974 Camillus changed the markings to U.S./Camillus,(dropping the N.Y.).
The story sounds legit to me.

usmc69
07-21-2013, 03:58
The 1219C2 pattern knife came into being during WW2. Union Cutlery,(KA-BAR), Camillus, PAL, and Robeson produced this knife under U.S. Government contracts.
Both the U.S. Navy and the U.S. Marine Corps had individual contracts for these knives.
The Navy called it the MK2, the U.S.M.C. called it the Fighting Utility knife.
Late during WW2 the specifications were changed to the 1219C2 knife to move the stampings from the knife blade to the guard. Three of the contractors had already filled their contracts with the Marine Corps for these knives by that time. Camillus still was delivering knives to the Marine Corps after this change occurred. As a result most of the guard marked 1219C2 knives you’ll come across will be marked U.S.N. .
In August of 1945 the Government cancelled virtually all of it’s open knife contracts. We had so many of the 1219C2 knives in Government inventory that no new contracts for these knives were awarded until 1960. Camillus was awarded it’s next Government contract for the 1219C2 pattern in 1962. From 1962 to 1974 these contract knives were marked U.S./ Camillus N.Y. on the blade in two lines. In 1974 Camillus changed the markings to U.S./Camillus,(dropping the N.Y.).
The story sounds legit to me.

Thanks for the info. I also found a picture of it in "GRUNT GEAR USMC Combat Infantry Equipment Of World War II" by Alec S. Tulkoff.

Billy Beeza
07-30-2013, 05:57
Did the Ontario knife company supply any of these to the U.S. military? I'm no collector and know precious little of the different martial knife manufacturers but this thread piqued my curiosity. Several years ago I bought a like new K-Bar styled knife from another forum member. It's marked "Ontario" on the blade near the tang, has a black stacked leather handle and a parked blade. Came in a black leather sheath that's tagged 1095-00-392-4102 KNIFE, COMBAT w/SHEATH 1 EACH.

Tom Doniphon
07-30-2013, 07:47
Is it marked "US" over "Ontario"? If so, those were made under Govt' contract in the 1980s.

Billy Beeza
08-01-2013, 07:30
Is it marked "US" over "Ontario"? If so, those were made under Govt' contract in the 1980s.

Checked again and yes, it does have the "US" above "Ontario". Glad to learn it was made under a government contract. Now I know it's military and not a repro. Thanks Tom!