PDA

View Full Version : Loose Lower Band 03-A3

DaleM
07-20-2013, 08:31
I've placed a Smith Corona 03-A3 into a type "C" stock which I purchased from Numrich quite a number of years ago. So far the fit seems pretty good with the exception of the lower band. (The one to which the forward sling swivel attaches.) The fit of that band, when fully tightened, is still quite loose.

I'm guessing that all of those bands were made to more or less the same dimensions so I doubt that acquiring a replacement lower band will solve my problem? My next thought is to find something to put under the band to take up the excess room, but I'd prefer not to use something which is going to readily show. Any and all suggestions appreciated.

John Beard
07-20-2013, 09:30
Slide the lower band forward, then wrap the stock and handguard with black electrical friction tape. Trim the tape width to slightly narrower than the band and remove the excess. Then slide the band back onto the tape and unwrap to achieve the desired buildup. The tape is available from Home Depot.

You are correct in your belief that replacing the lower band will not correct the problem. Stamped lower bands were manufactured to very tight tolerances and exhibit little variation.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

Kurt
07-20-2013, 11:25
I would add, you may want to check the hand guard. As you bought the stock, I assume you got the hand guard with it. If the hand guard matches the width of the stock at the band then this wouldn't be the problem. IF it is slightly narrower, it may be the cause. Most replacements are a little on the fat side and have to be fitted by sanding a bit in that area to get the band to fit. You might have a substandard hang guard. Something to check.

Kurt

DaleM
07-21-2013, 12:56
Thanks to both of you for your advice. The handguard was purchased as a set with the stock. It may be a tiny bit narrow, but not much.

I initially thought that I might use a couple of strips of paper (cut from targets) and treated with stock finish to fill in the gap. Unfortunately neither paper, nor cardboard were stiff enough to allow me to slide the lower band over them, once I'd installed the band retaining spring, without curling and being pushed out of position.

I decided that I'd need something stiffer, but couldn't think what I might have around the house which would be appropriate for the task. After perspiring in the garage for a while, looking for something suitable, I had an inspiration. I opened one of the cans that the Greek .30-06 comes packed in and found that the strip of metal which the key removes was just about the correct width. I cut off a strip of approximately the correct length and installed it under the band. Of course if you look closely you will see the shim, but I put the olive drab side up so I don't think that it looks too out of place on the rifle.

Kurt
07-21-2013, 07:27
If the hand guard is a tiny bit narrow, it adds up around the circumference and makes a lot of difference. Another thing you can do is buy some walnut facing tape from your local building supply house (also available on line). If you have a specialty place that deals in wood, you can get the black walnut. It comes in 1/2 to 2'' widths and is put on with a hobby iron. You can sand it some, not a lot and the heat glue holds it solidly in place. Stain it to match and your good to go.

One other thing you might check is the band itself. If it's GI, then as John said, pretty tight on the tolerances. If it's one of the repo's, they vary a lot. As they are not stamped, (the swivel is) it's hard to tell.

Kurt

DaleM
07-21-2013, 08:46
Good thoughts on the facing tape. For now I'm satisfied with the fix I've got, but if I become dissatisfied in the future I'll check out the facing tape.

chuckindenver
07-22-2013, 06:09
try another band.