PDA

View Full Version : Glommed a VZ23

Calfed
07-22-2013, 02:50
I got a VZ23 (or what appears to be a VZ23) over the weekend. Been looking for one of these for a while

Better pics and description when it arrives.

dave
07-22-2013, 04:11
Very nice! Mind saying what you paid? They can go for up to 3 grand, depending on several factors. What are the markings on the disk? I may be able to help with what they mean, if you do not already know. Does bolt and bands match? If bolt is m/m what marks are on it? Most of these were sitting in storage when the Germans arrived and were issued by them to their forces and police units. Many of these have m/m bolts. By the way---sling band is on backwards and the front sight sight protecter is incorrect. Original correct one ones are vertually imposible to find. A hard to find rifle, you are luckey. I bought the first one I ever saw and have never seen another!

Calfed
07-22-2013, 04:26
Dave, I'm not sure yet which parts match. I bought it at an online auction based on the pics and a very spare description. I'll post better pics and a complete description of it when it arrives.

Paid $250 for it.

dave
07-23-2013, 05:43
What a bargain!!!!! I paid 400 for mine (forced matched bolt, all the rest original, matched) and have been told that was a very good deal. I see you have already posted on GunBoards so you know as much or more then I do.

Calfed
07-23-2013, 06:11
Hoping for the best with this one. From the pictures I can see that the stock, handguard and rear sight leaf are matching.

dave
07-27-2013, 07:05
It appears to have the non-removable sight bed, which I thought ended earlier. Mine is an F and has the removable one. If so, ask John Wall about that.

Calfed
07-27-2013, 10:55
Dave, do you have a picture to illustrate the removable sight bed?

dave
07-27-2013, 04:17
No picture but I,m sure if you could locate any parts diagram of a Mauser rilfe you will see. Its where the spring fits under the leaf, curved to raise sight as it is slide forward, if removable it will come out with spring after leaf is removed, otherwise not. The humps at front of sight should show a line or joint on the back side, your does not. Perhaps barrel was changed or they were using up old sight parts or ??. Or maybe mine is incorrect---I have never taken it down. Not sure I ever heard a 'cut off pre-fix' for them either. I'm sure Wall could tell us more.

Calfed
08-15-2013, 02:46
The VZ-23 arrived at my FFL and I got a chanct to look it over before it went into the safe for the 10 day "cooling off" period.

It is partially matching...the upper band, handguard, stock, bottom metal, and sight all match. The floor plate and bolt do not. The bolt is a a "G" series bolt.

Bore looks great...sharp rifling and shiny.