PDA

View Full Version : Not Just Any Old Piece of Wood

Lee T.
07-23-2013, 09:51
Guys, check out the For Sale forum, the "Finger Groove Stock Set".
Weak markings (refinished?) but nice color and finish.
N^Z + RLB = special in my book. Methinks our younger members need some schoolin'.

Rick the Librarian
07-24-2013, 06:40
Wish I would (no pun intended!) have known that. I have a pretty bad RLB GG stock on my 3,003,000 range Remington and I'm looking for a better one. I see it has sold.

Lee T.
07-24-2013, 07:51
I didn't want to step on anybody's toes getting a good deal by shouting out, but it did seem like the seller didn't know what he had. If I remember right, the spread RLB was a lot later than your 3003K , so take solace in the fact it wasn't exactly correct. But it is a nice stock.....love the rich color. Almost too good - might have been refinished that way I suppose.

Rick the Librarian
07-24-2013, 12:24
A SPREAD RLB?? I have seen one or two, but you're right, not a match.

Lee T.
07-24-2013, 01:00
It's pretty faint, so I might be wrong, but that's what I saw -
the more I think about it the more I smell a refinished Greek return. Not that that's bad, but I don't think the finish is original.
Getting rid of every trace of grease would be a good reason for going to the n'th degree on the finish.
All that siad, I think it's a nice job and well worth the $....... whether you bought it as an mid-early Remington or not.

Emri
07-25-2013, 08:30
Looks like a boxed RLB to me.

http://www.fototime.com/360C0C78F220566/xlarge.jpg

rebound
07-25-2013, 12:02
Yes it do..........

Rick the Librarian
07-25-2013, 01:02
I agree - I didn't look at the picture until just now. I have seen a GG Remington stock with a spread RLB that John Beard said was legit.

Lee T.
07-25-2013, 01:26
Yeah - that goes better with the N^Z for sure, for some reason my eyes saw it as spread.
Thanks Emri - how did you capture the photo that large? It really tells the story....I was kind of hoping you'd see the post.
What do you all think about the finish? In any case a pretty sweet stock.

Emri
07-26-2013, 07:29
Yeah - that goes better with the N^Z for sure, for some reason my eyes saw it as spread.
Thanks Emri - how did you capture the photo that large? It really tells the story....I was kind of hoping you'd see the post.
What do you all think about the finish? In any case a pretty sweet stock.

Hey Lee,

I opened the sellers photo, hold the cursor over the pic and see a little blue + sign. Click on the pic and it shows actual size. Right click on the pic and open the "properties" window. Copy the URL and make a post using the "Insert Image" feature at the top of the reply dialog box. If you upload pics directly from your computer, they will be resized before posted if they are too big.

The finish has a nice color. Not much if any sanding was done. The handguard (not a Remington one) must have been done at the same time as it seemed to match the color of the stock quite well. I got a NZ stock on a Greek return Remington that was dark black with grease. I know a guy who re-finishes furniture and has some very strong chemicals in a recirculating washer to strip large stuff. Had him strip it for me and he commented that he had to run it through 3 times before it was relatively clear of grease. He would think it was clean, let it dry and the next day it would be oily on the surface again. It still oozes a little.

Good to see you posting again. Why don't you show the newer guys some pics of the nice rifles you have ? You used to post things long before a lot of these guys were on CSP. There just doesn't seem to be as much "discussion" about '03's as once was. I've re-posted pics of some rifles again just so the newer guys can "look and learn".

Emri