PDA

View Full Version : 1922 MII stamp and cartouche questions

Dawelda
08-03-2013, 06:46
Purchased a 1922 MII earlier this year and would love to know what all the markings mean. Cartouche on left side of butt is “SA-H”. Barrel is “S A” dated “10-26”. Receiver is stamped MI and an additional “I” is added to make an MII. Serial number is “10007B” but the “B” appears mis-aligned. Bolt is engraved “10007B” with an additional “B” underneath for some reason. The bolt is stamped “M2” on top. The bolt handle is stamped “NS” & “M2” with an additional “F” stamped underneath the bolt handle.
Questions:
I assume barrel is original (why replace .22lr barrel?) but why the MI to MII designation and why bolt change to M2? What is the “F” under bolt handle? Was the “B” in the serial # added later, if so why? Most curious to me; what is the birds head-22 cartouche on right side of stock? Thanks!!!
http://www.jouster.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22794http://www.jouster.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22795http://www.jouster.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22796http://www.jouster.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22797

Cosine26
08-04-2013, 11:35
Herschel can give you a better run down than I can but I shall give it a stab.
There are basically three models of the M1922 series gallery rifles:
M1922
M1922M1
M2.
The first was developed circa 1919. It was designed to replace the M1903 Gallery Practice Rifle. It proved to have some deficiencies. It was designated as the “M1922”. Most of these were sold to NRA member as I understand it. Because of the deficiencies a new rifle was designed designated as:
The “Model of 1922M1” had a redesigned firing mechanism and was equipped with the Lyman 48C receiver sight. It retained the long throw of the bolt and the bolt head latching mechanism of the M1922 rifle. It came I two models; one equipped with the” NRA” stock for sales to NRA members and the other equipped with the “issue stock” for issue to troops. The M1922M1 could be ordered drilled and tapped for and including mounts and the A-5 Winchester scope or with just the scope mounts. The original nomenclature was “Model of 1922M1” but it was found that drilling and tapping for the scope mounts defaced the markings so this was changed to “M1922M1”. Unlike the M1922, the M1922M1 rear telescope block was located on the receiver ring. I would hazard a guess that your rifle was originally and “issue” rifle since it is not drilled and tapped –but that’s only a guess. This rifle was announced circa 1924. The marking and serial number on you r rifle indicates to me that it was of later manufacture. I would estimate that your barrel is original. After the M1922M1 entered service several deficiencies arose and a new design was begun to correct these.
My opinion is that in addition to the deficiencies, the short bolt throw and the improved lock time of the Winchester 52 rifle put the M1922 series rifles at a disadvantage.
John C. Garand was assigned to develop an improved 22 rifle. He developed two but, while they were improvements, they were deemed too expensive to implement. Consequently the “M2” version of the M1922 gallery rifle was developed.
The “M2” rifle shortened the bolt throw, eliminating the requirement for the bolt head latch assembly. It eliminated the separate firing pin and sleeve assembly and provided a shorter “lock time”. The firing pin spring was changed from a special 22 spring to a standard M1903 spring. The design permitted the up grading of the M1922 and the M1922M1 to the M2 configuration with only a change of the bolt and the magazine.
The sale of M1922M1 and M2 rifles continued until about 1932. The army required that all rifles turned in for repair or overhaul be brought up to the latest or “M2” configuration. This however created a problem. The three versions of the M1922 rifle all had their own serial number series; therefore it would be possible for three rifles to exist with the same serial number. To indicate that a rifle had been up graded the markings were changed. I have never seen a M1922 upgraded so do not know how they were marked. The M1922M1 receivers had an “I” added after the M1” marking as does yours. Some were very neatly marked and some were crudely done. The SNL carries two designations as did the DCM price list: “M1922MII (for the modified rifles) and “M2” for the later rifles.
To eliminate the serial number problem, M1922 rifles brought up to the latest configuration would have the letter “A” added to the serial number and the modified M1922M1 rifles would have the letter “B” added to the S/N.
I cannot provide any information on the stock marking. The "NS" indicates that the bolt is Nickle steel, and the handle is an "M2" If your rifle were and original “issue” rifle, it may have been upgraded with a M2 stock.
As I indicated in my opening, Herschel can provide more complete data. I hope this helps.

Dawelda
08-04-2013, 02:09
thanks for "taking a stab at it" with so much info, you explained a lot! had no idea these such a convoluted history. my father was a WWII vet and told me about these when I was a kid and that he had wanted one and never had one. i forgot about them until i got older and i had friends with several of these. i decided i wanted one for sentimental reasons after my father passed away and eventually broke my piggy bank open and bought one. regardless, i think they are beautiful rifles and I genuinely love shooting mine. hopefully Herschel with chime in about the birds head-22 cartouche.

Dan Shapiro
08-04-2013, 02:38
The 'birds head' is an Eagle's head inspector's mark.

Dawelda
08-04-2013, 07:09
thanks Dan!

Herschel
08-04-2013, 07:23
I think cosine and Dan pretty well answered your questions. The SA over an H is a rebuild cartouche. The 1922M1 rifle made up for sale to NRA members as a new item were all drilled and tapped for scope blocks. The 1922M1 that was made up for issue to DCM affiliated rifle clubs were also drilled and tapped for scope blocks on the receiver ring and barrel. These DCM Club issue rifles also came with blued metal except for the parkerized barrel and and were in the NRA stock. Many of these, nearly all, that remained in govt inventory, were updated to 1922MII, parkerized and put into the M2 stocks. That is why so many 1922MII rifles will be seen in the M2 stocks and with the holes for scope blocks.
I have never before seen the bird's head cartouche on a Springfield .22.

When the 1922M1 and M2 Rifles came from SA as new items the bolt had the serial number of the rifle etched on it. When the M2 bolts were installed in 1922M1 rifles the serial number of the rifle was etched on the new bolts. For whatever reason, about half of the 1922M1, 1922MII and M2 rifles I see have mismatched bolts. I don't accept the often cited theory that the bolts got mixed up during unit cleaning parties. Units didn't have enough of the Springfield .22's to have cleaning parties as did units with service rifles, carbines and pistols. There were four M2 rifles at the Univ of AR when I was there in the mid 1950's. I recall us swapping bolts in hopes of getting one that had a better trigger pull. I doubt that the bolts were put back in the rifle to which they were numbered when the M2's were turned to our support installation in 1956 or 1957.

Kragrifle
08-04-2013, 08:10
Hi Herschel,
I also have never seen this eagle head cartouche on any US military weapon, so would wonder as to its origin.

jgaynor
08-04-2013, 09:29
Hi Herschel,
I also have never seen this eagle head cartouche on any US military weapon, so would wonder as to its origin.

You see it used on the M1917 Cal .30 Rifles.

Handsome Devil
08-05-2013, 11:24
Here is one that is on a 1920 SA 1903. Do not proclaim this to be "original" to the rifle, but as an example of one that is not on a M1917. They do not seem to appear often except on M1917s from my experience, think they were used there the most. Also have two Westinghouse M91s from the Russian contracts that have the eagle head stamp on barrel chamber and I think on a US marked Westinghouse stock that retained all of it's US markings {hard to find intact}. Regards, John.
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r18/HandsomeDevil_photos/1903%20springfields/000_0636.jpg

chuckindenver
08-05-2013, 12:20
that stamp was normally used 1917 to 1919 on small arms..first time iv seen it on a .22..
scratch that...not the same stamp..compare the 2 stamps..

Dawelda
08-05-2013, 04:23
understand i'm only curious and not looking for any added value...i will never sell it. i told the guy i bought it from i would try to find out what i could about it. he had it for more than 20 years and he bought it from a guy who had more than 20 years, but knew nothing about it. so...if i understand correctly from Herschel and cosine, this is an M2 stock and it seems lucky that the bolt and s/n still match. however, do i understand the that most MI (as mine started out) and those updated to MII were drilled/tapped? how unusual is it to find one NOT drilled/tapped? seems the eagle's head cartouche is even more of a mystery now. really interesting. i did find some faint cartouche stamps on left side of stock near the grip if anyone thinks it will help i will provide those, too. thanks much to all!

Cosine26
08-05-2013, 08:06
1. I would tend to believe that your rifle probably is equipped with a M2 type stock. When an article is processed through a depot for overhaul, it is usually brought up to the latest configuration. I do not believe that only the bolt and magazine would be replaced. If you would publish a full length picture of you rifle, it will be possible to determine the type of stock you have.
2. I would estimate that the number of non D&T rifles would outnumber the number of D&T rifles. Herschel indicates that all NRA sales rifles were D&T and all issued to rifle clubs were also D&T. To purchase an M1922M1, you had to be an NRA member and the NRA membership was not that large in the 1920’s & 1930’s and for much of the time we were in the Great Depression. The rifles issued to clubs were also D&T, but there were not that many clubs. When the DCM was issuing M1 rifles after WWII, the number of rifles a club could get was dependent upon the size of the membership who participated in the annual qualification firing, but in no case would the number exceed six. I do not know what the rules were in the pre-WWII days. There were probably more rifles in “issue” configuration to various service units.
Herschel can probably provide more accurate information

Kragrifle
08-06-2013, 05:38
I have never seen this exact stamp on a 1917 either.