PDA

View Full Version : What to look for in Decent 03A3

bigskybound
08-04-2013, 05:57
Newbie here. Years ago I had a sporterized 03A3 that was crazy accurate. Now I am interested in getting one in original condition. Since my tastes have matured, I want a shooter that has collector appeal as well. What should I look for as far as stamps, etc. I have no problem with the post WWII refurbished ones, so not looking for one in wartime configuration. Thanks.

Johnny P
08-04-2013, 06:05
The more original, the more collector appeal. Unless price is an issue, go for the original.

Allen Humphrey
08-05-2013, 07:50
Bigskybound,
If you are serious about the collector details, then I suggest picking up some books and doing some reading. There are really too many details to even attempt a description here. If you search on this forum you will find multiple threads about which books are the favorites, and which to avoid.

If you mostly want a shooter that looks pretty good to the casual observer then the BIG eye catchers are:
1. Stamped sheet metal A3 parts on an 1903 or vice versa
2. heavily sanded stock and any finish other than natural oils like boiled linseed or tung oil are a give away.
3. A3 bolt parts on an older 1903 or vice versa
4. "R" marked parts on a non-Remington rifle

If you are not familiar with the topics in 1-4 then you won't regret getting a book or two and studying.
Good luck

Tom
08-06-2013, 09:10
Allen's right, Even when I'm shooting other calibers, I take one along and have it on my tailgate for everyone to drool over. Even though mine are all S/C 1940's vintage, most people call it a WW1 Springfield (I just smile and don't embarass them). Maybe one person in fifteen says "oh-a Smith Corona".

PS, Once you have a nice, blued, sporterized version, it may be your favorite to shoot. That's what my first one was. I've taken many boar with it.