PDA

View Full Version : Strange hand-stamped Springfield 1903 Receiver

rcmkhm
08-05-2013, 01:18
Gentlemen, this is a strange one. I have a 1903 Receiver that appears correct in every respect. It has a nice, even gray-green park finish on it. It's marked Springfield and has serial number 1327236, which places the date of manufacture in 1929 according to Poyer's book. The bottom of the receiver has "N S/B L" nickel steel markings I presume. The strange part is that the lettering on the receiver ring looks hand stamped. In fact, the "D" in the word SPRINGFIELD is backwards!!! The serial number appears to have been stamped twice and the letters are not even and level. Anyone have any idea what this thing is?

Doug Douglass
08-05-2013, 01:26
Not a clue....you need to talk to Bubba, he may have done it !!

Mickey Christian
08-05-2013, 01:30
Kind of unique. Should be a keeper. Are you going to build it into a rifle? Would doing so add to or detract from it's appeal/value?

rcmkhm
08-05-2013, 01:40
I thought about Bubba, but where would he have gotten a blank 1903 Receiver and, if he had one, why would he have done such a thing? It's not like late 20s 1903 Receivers are super rare and valuable. I'm not sure what to do with it actually. I'm just hoping to find out where/how/why it looks like it does. Very strange if it really came out of the SA factory that way.

Jeff L
08-05-2013, 01:41
Trainee at the plant? Might be it was late Friday or early Monday receiver.

rcmkhm
08-05-2013, 01:56
Is it worth anything, kind of like a penny with FDR's face on it? Or is it a piece of junk, kind of like a penny with a very recent president's face on it?

Embalmer
08-05-2013, 02:14
seen m1 recievers with flawed stamps, why wouldnt it happen with 1903's?

Trebor1415
08-05-2013, 02:19
My first thought is it's a Indian/Pakistini fake. They have been building copies of Western rifles in the border region for about 100 years. There are plenty of fake Martini Henry's and Enfields out there. The hand stamping and reversed lettering is a tip off on those commonly.

I've never seen or heard of a Pakistan '03 copy, and it's odd that it's just a receiver, but it is a possibility

John Beard
08-05-2013, 02:39
Please post more pictures, including the bottom of the receiver behind the recoil lug, the bottom and top of the receiver rear, and the front face of the receiver.

Thanks!

J.B.

rcmkhm
08-05-2013, 03:03
Here are some more photos. It looks like it has a witness line on the left side of the receiver. No gas hole on the left side either.

rcmkhm
08-05-2013, 03:05
Here are a couple more.

Mike D
08-05-2013, 03:08
Looks like the original letters and numbers were polished thin, and then done again.

Backwards D = Bubba!

Mike

Is the receiver ring rounded?

rcmkhm
08-05-2013, 03:15
That's definitely a possibility. I'm just wondering where Bubba would have gotten the exact same size and font letters and numbers. I don't know much about stampings, but I'd think they were kind of a specialty item for hard steel?

Fred
08-05-2013, 04:12
Weren't the receivers stamped first and then heat treated?

Kurt
08-05-2013, 09:09
Both the lettering and the serial number have been re-stamped. You can clearly see parts of the original stamping and they are feint They did parkerize after stamping as to do the otherwise would have defeated the purpose of the Parkerizing. There is a punch mark to the right of the lettering, in addition to the one below the serial number....?
A little odd, especially with the backward D

Kurt

John Beard
08-05-2013, 09:49
Thanks for the additional photos.

The receiver ring has been ground down, probably by a private individual or gunsmith and only traces of the original markings remain. While they were grinding it down, they rounded the front edge of the receiver ring. Someone then hand re-stamped the markings and serial number. This work did NOT originate from Springfield Armory. I can confirm that the serial number is the original serial number.

I speculate that the receiver ring was once drilled and tapped for a telescope. Someone then welded up the holes, then ground down the ring and re-stamped it. There's a very good chance that the receiver ring has been annealed (softened) and is no longer safe for shooting. That would explain how they were able to re-stamp it, since the receiver ring was no longer hardened.

Hope this helps. Thanks again for the additional photos!

J.B.

chuckindenver
08-06-2013, 08:54
NS recievers are actually easy to stamp.
i do agree, this one has been restamped poorly. receiver has been blue printed...{match faced } as well, not just ground...
i agree i can see were the holes were repaired. id bet holes on the side from a target sight were repaired as well.
and no..the were stamped after heat treatment.
holes drilled ect before heat treat..thread tapping ect after heat treatment. {other then the receiver ring.. the square threads were roughed in before heat treatment..and finished after.
i would make sure a barrel indexes right before i went any further..
you can see a flat spot on the top of the ring were they ground off the lettering.

Doug Douglass
08-06-2013, 09:04
I was right....blame Bubba again. Boy he sure gets around.

rcmkhm
08-07-2013, 03:43
Thanks, Gentlemen. Bubba sure got around. I think this one will go into the "to be cut up" pile.

Kurt
01-31-2014, 05:58
Thanks, Gentlemen. Bubba sure got around. I think this one will go into the "to be cut up" pile.

Guess we all know where the "to be cut up" pile is. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=390507308

Kurt

chuckindenver
02-01-2014, 07:48
felonious sale.. even after seller was told it was a ground and restamped serial...

Kurt
02-01-2014, 10:29
Some day, someone is going to have that thing blow up in their face, all for a couple bucks in someone's pocket.

Kurt

rcmkhm
02-01-2014, 04:48
Felonious sale? Did you bother to read the description? Apparently not.

pickax
02-01-2014, 06:43
You have been outed again. A CYA description doesn't make it right.

chuckindenver
02-02-2014, 09:56
§ 14-160.2. Alteration, destruction, or removal of serial number from firearm; possession
of firearm with serial number removed.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to alter, deface, destroy, or remove the
permanent serial number, manufacturer's identification plate, or other permanent distinguishing
number or identification mark from any firearm with the intent thereby to conceal or
misrepresent the identity of the firearm.
(b) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to sell, buy, or be in possession of any
firearm on which the permanent serial number, manufacturer's identification plate, or other
permanent distinguishing number or identification mark has been altered, defaced, destroyed,
or removed for the purpose of concealing or misrepresenting the identity of the firearm.
(c) A violation of any of the provisions of this section shall be a Class H felony.

chuckindenver
02-02-2014, 10:07
telling someone how the felony was committed, and discribing it....still makes it a Felony...no matter how you lay it out...or how to talk about it...its still illegal.
no grey area. its black and white.
to add,
a bare receiver is not C&R transferable, only a complete weapon that hasnt been sporterized. you can look into that part of the law as well.

rebound
02-02-2014, 11:25
FWIW,,,,, There is no intent to misrepresent or conceal the firearm.... So the provision does not apply in this case...

chuckindenver
02-02-2014, 01:27
as of Jan of 2009. changing the nomanclature or removing the serial number, even if your putting the same info back on...is no longer legal.
id have to dig around a bit, but could find that new ruling as well.
facts are, that he was told it was changed, and then stated it would be destroyed, then to advertise it for sale. if you look on the ATF website and dig, you will find that selling this receiver is also not legal.
you can twist it around all you like, and chances are,..they dont care..but Felonious is still is...

chuckindenver
02-02-2014, 01:31
§ 478.34 Removed, obliterated, or altered serial number.
No person shall knowingly transport, ship, or receive in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm which has had the importer's or manufacturer's serial number removed, obliterated, or altered, or possess or receive any firearm which has had the importer's or manufacturer's serial number removed, obliterated, or altered and has, at any time, been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.
[T.D. ATF-313, 56 FR 32508, July 17, 1991]

chuckindenver
02-02-2014, 01:36
“Whoever… receives a firearm with knowledge that its serial number or identification number has been removed, defaced, altered, obliterated or mutilated in any manner shall be punished ….”

Penalties For A Conviction
A conviction for defacing a firearm’s serial number results in minimum sentence of 1 month but no more than 2 ½ years in the house of corrections and a $200 fine.

In order to prove the defendant guilty of this offense the Prosecutor must prove the following things beyond a reasonable doubt:

The item in question was a firearm;
The defendant received the firearm;
The defendant knew that the item was a firearm;
The serial number or identification number on the firearm was removed, defaced, altered, obliterated, or mutilated in some manner; and
The defendant knew that at the time he or she received the firearm the serial number had been removed, defaced, altered, in some way.
The prosecution doesn’t need to show that the defendant received the firearm. Instead all the prosecution needs to show is that the defendant knowingly took control of the firearm. The defendant can take legal control of the firearm without personally possessing the firearm.

The prosecution can’t establish that the defendant took control of the firearm simply by showing the defendant was present in the same place as the gun. In addition to showing that the defendant was present in the same place as the firearm, the prosecution must also prove that the defendant knew that the firearm was there, and had the ability and intent to exercise control over the gun.

chuckindenver
02-02-2014, 01:43
pretty much every state also has laws that go along the same lines...
you can read those laws, and make your own choice.... but dont get all bent at me...im not the one whos selling it, only pointed out the laws and guidelines that go with it.. as i read the law as its now updated....that simply having it in your hands is a violation, no matter what your intent is...and even if your not aware that the serial number was altered...

rebound
02-02-2014, 02:00
What about all the customized 03 out there?
Even the ones done by your high-end shops or gun makers where serial numbers where removed and restamped with there own number?

chuckindenver
02-02-2014, 04:01
we can kick this back and forth for days....the law is what it is, likely nobody cares one way or the other, or maybe some cop would take notice and make life unhappy, i didnt make the law, and avoid weapons that have had serial numbers messed with..
years ago, i used to do demills for a local PD, and have cut more then a few with nicer looking serial numbers then the OP,s..
my comment was what it was, and like the old saying, its only illegal if you get caught..
FRY: a local chain store with gun sales, had a nice Sedgly made sporter with no serial number, it was taken by the ATF, even though a serial number had been electro penned on the bottom flat...

rebound
02-02-2014, 05:11
I guess your right...
As said...
Let sleeping dogs lay...