PDA

View Full Version : 1903A1 Questions Again!

jerrbear
08-05-2013, 05:38
Has been a while since I dug out my 1903a1. I remember at the time I got it I asked some questions and had a lot in common with other collectors on this rifle. It is a Springfield with a serial no. 1499702 with a SA barrel dated 4-42. It has a C-6 straight handle bolt and a mix of other parts. The great thing about it is it has what John Beard called an early C stock made in 1942 by Springfield Armory. There is a single S in the cutoff. There are no other markings at all anywhere. Pmclaine had a similar stock on his. He was kind enough to post my pictures on this sight. According to John Beard these stocks were not marked as they went to the Marines and the Navy for rebuilds. I also read on another forum the the Navy/Marines put these guns together from mixed parts. There was a mention about pipe wrench or wrench marks on the barrels which my rifle has. Finish is the same on the barrel and receiver. I was just wondering if anyone has any documentation or any info on what the Navy or Marines put together serial number wise or any any way to track the guns they rebuilt.:icon_scratch:

Johnny in Texas
08-05-2013, 09:36
My A1 is a USMC sniper and it has the vice marks on the barrel it has a Remington cut off and a Remington small bow 03A3 trigger guard barrel date 8'38 SA not star gaged stock is original NM stock SA/SPG with drawing number and rifle s/n if I remember the handguard is a Remington modified