PDA

View Full Version : just to make Rick cry..

chuckindenver
08-08-2013, 07:45
as you all know, iv been busy building replica sniper rifles...so
yesterday..a fellow gunsmith...{kinda} asked if i would build a couple for him to sell in his store..
mmmk.
well, he brings in a nice original Remington A3..the only damage...someone {him i think} tried to install a muzzle brake or suppressor.
just needed a replacement barrel...
talked him out of destroying that rifle any worse..
heres the killer..
this was...the nicest, original right as rain.. Remington 03..non rebuild, all correct and original. when first saw this rifle 2 years ago in his store...it was mint..not so much anymore.
at that time i would have put a 1500.00 or more retail value on the rifle..
heres whats left of that rifle..get your crying towl out Rick..
let me explain this..
on this guys card it reads...MASTER GUNSMITH.. he does Mosin nagant tactical rifles..lol..cuts on em. drops them in weird stocks, attaches big over sized scopes. paints them up cool cammo ect.. {thats his gunsmith back ground} yes...he has a paper on the wall, from the school of trades lol...remember...MASTER GUNSMITH.
so. he attempted to install a PU type russian sniper mount with a big over sized scope with drop compensators and all sorts of bells and doo dads..
he did such a wondeful job drilling the holes off center, only to do such a awesome job on the bolt handle and a great notch on that nice original un refinished RLB marked stock..
since he figured that he couldnt drill a straight hole.. he tool it too the School of trades.. and they drilled holes for a Lyman target sight...and told him to have the reciever he heated treated...since...after all its a low number springfield..
i took him to dinner, and sat down and told him...maybe its time to look into another line of work? or stick with what he,s been doing on the Nagant rifles??? he agreed..
we have a good history.. hes a hell of a guy...just gets wild ideas and lacks the skills to get them done..
as much damage thats been done...this will make a nice A1 sniper rifle for him...

1mark
08-08-2013, 08:07
So why did he not just use the Hatcher hole and tap it? It was already there.

Dollar Bill
08-08-2013, 08:38
Did he trash the stock also? I can't tell from the pics.

Roadkingtrax
08-08-2013, 08:56
He did all that damage?

Tell him thanks, all other Remingtons are worth more now.

CptEnglehorn
08-08-2013, 09:10
I think I died a little inside. Remington value just went up a big chunk.

Rick the Librarian
08-08-2013, 09:11
Chuck, both you and I see that on Gunbroker and other sites all the time. Someone doesn't know what they're doing and tries to pretend they do. They go by rumor and hearsay. Yes, it is a shame to see an original rifle more or less destroyed. He converted a $1500+ rifle into a $350 junker. I hope he does better with the rest of his investments.

Duane Hansen
08-08-2013, 09:12
That made me tear up just reading your post and after seeing the pictures, I think you should "pimp slap" him. That's inexcusable!

Rick the Librarian
08-08-2013, 09:17
My "top" vote for destruction of a Remington 1903 goes to one I saw at a small gun show several years ago. #3,000,800. The stock had been crudely cut down - the RLB inspection stamp was still extremely "crisp" Still had a 10-41 barrel (which I was able to save from the guy who bought it.) The owner had even trashed the trigger guard - the rear sight had been ground down. THAT just about made me break down in tears! :(

JBinIll
08-08-2013, 09:20
Every time I see one of those butchered rifles I wanna cry..............................and when the proud owner tells you how he's increased it's value start laughing maniacally in his face.