PDA

View Full Version : Reloading for Springfield 1903A3

Jocko
08-10-2013, 10:42
Wondering if it's safe to reload for a Springfield 1903A3 that's headspace is near the end.
I picked up the rifle from a buddy and the headspace is so-so. Closes on the NO-GO gauge
and doesn't on the Field, bolt comes over maybe 1/4 of the way. I have special headspace
gauges and it will close on a 2.054 gauge and again not the field.

I'm thinking I might be running into possible case head failures if using used brass.
How much can brass stretch before failures occur ?

Input please

Parashooter
08-10-2013, 08:26
Good new .30/06 brass can stretch about .025" before failing. Since stretch is cumulative, if you FL size back to near-original head-shoulder dimension, expect moderately early failures with reloaded cases. If you neck size or adjust your FL sizer to produce minimal end play, expect normal case life.

If the bolt doesn't close on a standard "Field" gauge, headspace is considered acceptable for rifles in service. Handload wisely and you'll have nothing to worry about.

Bob S
08-10-2013, 10:00
I had my first 03A3 (purchased 1965) rebarreled with a "heavy" match barrel in 1973 by a well-known gunsmith in the New England area. I shot it for one season before going back on active duty, with no problems. After I "landed" here near WTB, Quantico, I pulled it out and just for grins I checked the headspace, and found that the bolt would swallow a Field gauge without batting an eyelash. I continued to shoot it, loading either with an Ideal No. 10 tool, or just carefully resizing just enough for the fired cases to rechamber. I fired it this way, including the Leech/Wimbldon cup matches in 1986 when our Navy Team LR M70 rifles were totally shot out and the McMillans had not yet shown up. Once I retired from the Navy (1993) and got set up to do serious rifle work, I set the barrel back one turn and rebreeched it so it will not close on a NO GO gauge. Still shooting it.

In short ... the sky isn't falling. As Parashooter sez, neck size or adjust FL sizing die to bump the shoulder back one or two thousandths, and carry on.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

chuckindenver
08-11-2013, 07:41
try a new bolt...and recheck your headspace