PDA

View Full Version : Need help ID'ing German bayonet ot dagger??.......................

Brad
08-11-2013, 05:57
A friend asked me to help him ID a bringback German blade. He knows nothing of these other than his Grandfather In-Law brought this back from Germany. I know a little more, enough to be pretty sure it is German WWII, I think.
I can send photos but perhaps someone could direct me to a good website where I might be able to research it.
I did see some photos on line and it looks allot like a Fireman's "Sawback", except ther is no sawback.
The blade is about 9-1/2" long, total knife length is 14-1/2". It is all plated and in very very good condition, unsharpened or messed with in any way.
The scabbard is also very good, no dents, allot of original black paint, but some scratching and very little light surgace rust. It still has a very good frog.
What confuses me is that unlike most German stuff I am familiar with, I cannot see any markings or stampings on any part of it, at all??
This thing is really nice, but I dont know what it is??
His intent is to find out about it, with intent to sell??
Thanks in advance

Guamsst
08-13-2013, 08:11
Sounds like a parade or dress dagger. Just google German firemans dagger. $100-$150 depending on the local market. They can be sold on Ebay as long as you do not mention Nazi or Swastika.

Sarge
08-17-2013, 04:38
Sounds like a long blade firemans dress bayonet, does it have a wide or very narrow blood groove? Wide is the most common.
Not all of these were maker marked so yours not being marked is not uncommon.
With the frog I'd say it is probably a $150 item. Most don't have the frog.
Sarge

Brad
08-22-2013, 10:06
Thanks to all, great site!!