PDA

View Full Version : Only the nerdiest mauser guru would know this, and I need him!

grandpassearsgun
08-23-2013, 12:48
Been looking hard to find an 1891 argentine mauser that had some kind of historical significance to it. I've looked and looked. Everything is being sold as is with no story tied to them. Until I found just 1,....http://www.empirearms.com/antique.htm and if you will scroll down to the end of the page to the last listing, you will see it along with the description. Not much was mentioned in the article about it, so I'm wondering if you guys can verify what they are selling, if you guys know anything else about it, if its overpriced, and feel free to let me know of other pieces that would fall into what I'm looking for. :eusa_wall:

Hal O'Peridol
08-23-2013, 03:00
I don't know about the price, but the seller has a very good reputation for honesty.

dave
08-23-2013, 05:31
I believe it was made or marked for a military school as stated, I have seen this mark explained before. 150 made? don't know, consult some books! But how does 'verdigris' get on the barrel of a rifle? And why dose'nt he wipe it off? Me thinks he knows not the meaning of the word---or maybe I don't?

jaie5070
08-23-2013, 04:45
From the picture it looks like the rifle has a muzzle cap on the end of the barrel. I don't have one for my rifle but the ones I have seen on e-bay look like they are brass or brass plated.
john

older than dirt
08-23-2013, 06:27
I bought from this guy before & what Hal says is true. They are honest people. prices a little high, but there items are good & not junk.

dave
08-24-2013, 05:14
From the picture it looks like the rifle has a muzzle cap on the end of the barrel. I don't have one for my rifle but the ones I have seen on e-bay look like they are brass or brass plated.
john

Verdigris is formed when brass/copper is in contact with leather or other source of tanic acid. Some leather is tanned w/o tanic acid.

grandpassearsgun
08-24-2013, 09:23
I have seen ones on ebay also. One with a star stamped on it and one without it. Any idea which is the reproduction? Or are they both originals? Or are they both reproductions?