PDA

View Full Version : Remington 03-A3 Greek Return

SUB VET II
09-22-2013, 08:59
Rifle is a Greek Return purchased from CMP. SN 4004498. Rifle is in mint condition and is all Remington with exception of the bolt sleeve which is Smith Corona. Also has RIA stamp on the left side of the stock with letters EB. Question is: Did Remington use Smith Corona parts during production. Rifle does not appear to have any troop use. Muzzle is perfect and I believe barrel is org. Dated 9-43. I am assuming rifle was processed through RIA prior to sending to the Greeks. Finish is as issued to include the bolt sleeve. A two groove tack driver. Thanks for any help...

Rick the Librarian
09-23-2013, 06:35
Remington did not, as a rule, use SC parts. I would suspect the SC part was installed during the post-WWII overhaul of the rifle at Rock Island before the rifle was shipped to the Greeks.

John Beard
09-23-2013, 12:56
Rifle is a Greek Return purchased from CMP. SN 4004498. Rifle is in mint condition and is all Remington with exception of the bolt sleeve which is Smith Corona. Also has RIA stamp on the left side of the stock with letters EB. Question is: Did Remington use Smith Corona parts during production. Rifle does not appear to have any troop use. Muzzle is perfect and I believe barrel is org. Dated 9-43. I am assuming rifle was processed through RIA prior to sending to the Greeks. Finish is as issued to include the bolt sleeve. A two groove tack driver. Thanks for any help...

(1) No.

(2) You assume correctly.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

SUB VET II
09-23-2013, 04:12
Again; Thanks Rick; Thanks John.

PeteDavis
09-25-2013, 06:12
Is the receiver and barrel parkerized or blued?

SUB VET II
09-25-2013, 07:35
Pete: Finish is a slightly greenish appearance with a very slight shine. Barrel is same only no shine because of basic finish. I would judge the entire rifle to be original finish. As ,stated; does not appear to have been in hand of troops. Instead of shine a more correct term would probably be (Patina} and that is no doubt an incorrect spelling.

SUB VET II
09-25-2013, 07:41
Pete: One additional item. Bolt sleeve is same finish as other parts of rifle.