PDA

View Full Version : Bannerman Frankenfurter parts

jaie5070
09-27-2013, 03:36
I was in a local gun shop and saw two frankenfurter rifles. One was a 220xxxx RI receiver in an a modified 1917 enfield stock, with a 1917 enfield bolt(?) in it. I don't think it had an '03 barrel on it. The second was a small ring mauser action with an '03 barrel that may have been rechambered to 7.65 argy. I couldn't make out the marks at the muzzle. It was in a nice looking Rock Island stock. The guns are 150.00 each. I have no interest in the sales but wanted to let you guys know about them if the price is worth the parts. The shop is in Tucson.
john

Col. Colt
09-28-2013, 11:52
The Bannerman guns are a legitimate part of the 1903 story, and discussed in Bill Brophy's important 1903 Book. But how to value them? I would think even a wallhanger is worth $150! I would buy the Rock Island recievered gun in a heart beat, just to have an example of the variation for $150, and I suspect most real collectors would as well. I don't think you can get hurt on that rifle. The second one, not so much, but it does seem to go with the first one, somehow. CC

jgaynor
09-28-2013, 07:06
I am with Col Colt on this. Certainly the Bannerman rifles may not be originals but they are certainly representative of a particular period of firearms collecting. I was watching a news report last night about the massive electrical failure on the rail line between NYC and Boston. A nice shiny new rail car rolled thru the picture - on the side in big black letters was "BANNERMAN'S ISLAND". Bannerman's is part gun history.

Regards,
Jim

jaie5070
09-29-2013, 07:58
If I had the extra $$ to blow I would buy both but I have other hobby priorities right now. I just wanted others to now about them if they were looking for parts.
john

Col. Colt
09-29-2013, 08:11
If they are Bannermans rifles, they should not be parted out. They, too, are a little piece of American history. But some collector will recognize them for what they are, and complete his Springfield collection. They are pretty rare, in my experience. CC