PDA

View Full Version : Bought a 1884 rifle- value- SRS search?

ronc54
10-03-2013, 07:12
Have always casually looked at trapdoors when encountered and thought if I found a nice one would get it. Most I have seen are a little rough for $700 and up so this looked great for the money. Have several SA Garands and a 1903 so needed to add one of these. Any opinions on how I did for $975 out the door appreciated, this is probably a keeper. Also noticed the SRS serial number look up here that would be appreciated. Did a lot of reading to educate myself on these so I could describe it better. Could add pics if needed.

It was in a glass case and appeared to have near 100% blue so thinking a reblue, but sure now it is original. Looked at the trapdoorcollectors web site and feel good about this rifle. Good case colors on block darker on top, much more apparent underneath marked 1884. Sideplate has the eagle and Springfield no date. Blue is close to 100% and bore is mint, a mirror. What I thought was some minor corrosion at the wood line is actually dried linseed oil. Only significant blue wear is the buttplate at the top and bottom where it looks like rack wear and some minor marks where bayonet was attached. Stock has a number of minor dings and small impressions but no cracks overall very nice. Wood has a reddish brown appearance, maybe from added linseed over the years but shows no signs of sanding. Cleaning rod is present and looks new, no front sight cover. Came with a leather sling that appears identical to an 03 sling, very old and had been on the rifle a long time a strong "set" in the leather where it curves around the swivels. Rear band was installed backwards I think (U on left side and open part of U pointing rear). Bands came off easily and barrel/receiver came out with no problem. Only screw showing any "buggering" was tang screw and barely noticeable.

Serial # 46916x. Stock has a strong 1889 cartouche and a P proof on the wrist at the bottom and a very small x in the wood just to the rear of the trigger guard. Firing proofs above the wood line are V P eagle and P. Below the wood there is a D at the witness marks where barrel and receiver are aligned. there is also a P with small curved line above it and a dot below. Also a small S.

Rear sight is Buffington, elevation knob rotates easily, but slide does not move. No signs of being staked may just be dried crud. Windage knob does not move and don't want to force it, may be pinned?

Was told it came out of a very old collection, no more history than that.

Again great info and links here, any input is welcome. Ron

Dick Hosmer
10-03-2013, 08:12
Sounds like you got it for about half of what it should have fetched from a knowledgeable seller. Congratulations - your lucky day!

Usually, I castigate the writers of "how did I do" posts, as nothing (to me) is more stupid than paying a large sum of money for something one admittedly didn't know anything about. But - you did your homework, and it paid off.

Did not see anything in SRS, closest were 469087 and 469205. FWIW, they were used by Ohio, but only direct citations count. A large number of rifles from that period seem to never have been issued. SA had over-produced, the fighting against the Indians in the West had died down, and a new model - the "1888" with sliding rod-bayonet was on the horizon. Those, being the 'latest model', saw action in Cuba and the Philippines, while brand-new Model 1884s of 1889 production (upper mid 400000s) laid in their crates. Mine came from such a crate that was opened, I was told, in the 1950s. No history, but very pretty.

Dick Hosmer
10-03-2013, 08:13
Deleted duplicate post. Anyone else having problems recently with posts taking a LONG time to "process" onto the board, after hitting send???

ronc54
10-03-2013, 09:04
Thanks Dick, really appreciate the comments. Thought I may have been about $300 to 400 to the good but not that much! Also I think my windage may be pinned but can't get the slide to move up although loosens easily. Just soak it in some WD40 or CLP maybe? Excuse my paranoia about leaving complete serial #s on web, edited out the last #.

Dick Hosmer
10-03-2013, 09:24
Your sight may be pinned, a lot of them were - if soaking doesn't free it you can take it off and see - just be careful not to mar the screws! If it is, I'd leave it alone. The pin can be removed "invisibly", but quite a hole has to be chewed (by drilling a ring of smaller holes) into the bottom of the base to get a grip on it and pull it out.

ronc54
10-03-2013, 10:20
Patience pays off, let it soak for about four hours with CLP and the windage started to budge just a little. Took my time and after working it slightly and then a little WD 40, it started working freely. Same with the elevation slide. Probably just 124 years of dried grease and dust! I am a happy camper. Can't wait to shoot this. How about the Cowboy loads from Winchester or UltraMax to get started, any preference here? That will get me some brass and then on to the reloading bench after I get some dies. Thanks again.

Dick Hosmer
10-03-2013, 12:36
Good news as to the sight. Cowboy action loads are a good place to start, and, modern jacketed ammo is safe and convenient, but may not provide the best accuracy. One guy here swears by them, but many people swear at them. You will probably do best with soft lead, sized for your barrel, and black powder, but do experiment. Just stay away from any ammo you may find marked HV, or "for Win 1886" or "Marlin 1895".

ronc54
10-03-2013, 02:14
Yes, nothing but standard loads and I will favor the lighter side of "standard". Seems the Cowboy loads tend to be a little lighter. Thanks!

ronc54
01-05-2014, 01:48
Just to update, finally shot the rifle with Winchester 405 gr Cowboy loads, very much fun. Had a really tough time with the sights, my eyes don't work like they used to!! I think a sight hood would help me pick up the front blade better, which is "correct" for this rifle a snap on or the type with screw? Thanks