PDA

View Full Version : redfield base on ebay

holdover
10-20-2013, 08:12
redfield base up to 535, another WOW!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-WWII-Redfield-Rifle-Scope-Mount-for-US-Springfield-Model-1903A4-Take-off-/310766834066?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item485b259192#ht_196wt_917

pelago
10-23-2013, 01:22
now he needs to buy the 750.00 1903A3 bolt that some other idiot bought

jgaynor
10-23-2013, 02:22
Looks like an early commercial base to me. JCH suggests they were one of the bases used on A4's. But all the A4's i have seen, (except for the hump jobs) use bases marked "REDFIELD" on the right rear quarter or the unmarked replacements furnished by Lyman in the eraly 50's

Johnny in Texas
10-23-2013, 05:06
I think it is possible that some may have been used as replacement parts in the 50's-60's. The shape and grinding are consistent with WW2 era bases. I have never seen an original A4 with one on it. I think that Logo would date it as well but not sure when Redfield started using it. most commercial bases I have seen all blued were marked on the bottom SPL or SPCL can't remember. Not sure what that means Special maybe?

Embalmer
10-23-2013, 06:26
Mine had that mount. Was referred to as a type 2 mount and wasn't as common as the standard small Redfield at rear of base from the book was mentioned in. Got to find pics of that rifle now as was sold long ago.

Col. Colt
10-25-2013, 11:01
I have what I think is the early Commercial blued version with that logo - square rear, no taper for the Lyman Alaskan rear "bell". I've never seen one with the commercial logo like that on a real 03A4 - but I've seen very few, to be honest. If it was postwar use, it would be an ummarked, Parkerized Lyman, right? CC

Col. Colt
11-03-2013, 07:46
Embalmer, I'm with jgaynor on this one - all the up to date written evidence says that is NOT a true US GI mount - but if you, say, got your real A4 direct from the DCM/CMP, or at least with the DCM/CMP paperwork, that would help authenticate it as a legitimate variation.

A lot of collectors would certainly be interested, if it could be documented that they were used. Harrison's older book is the only one that lists all of the Redfield mounts as if they were all used by the military - eveyone else, going off observed rifles, says that only the bases marked Redfield on the right rear flat are WWII production and the unmarked grey Lyman bases are used in postwar Rebuild. It is likely that the earliest pre-production prototypes, without the taper for the Alaskan, may have used the bases marked with the Redifeld written logo on the right front. There is at least one photo of one of those in an Army manual. CC