PDA

View Full Version : 1903 rear sight collar

dlc_aec
10-31-2013, 08:25
hello all,

i am in the process of restoring an old SA 1918 '03 (you may have seen my earlier posts). the barrel is a replacement from 10-1927. ive been looking for a rear sight collar and all of them that ive seen have an indexing pin at about 2 o' clock or no pin at all. my barrel has a matching groove about 10 o' clock. is whats correct (or better, what will fit) for my barrel, the no pin, or is there a base with a pin at the 10 o' clock position that ive yet to find?

thanks for the help,
douglas

chuckindenver
11-01-2013, 07:54
i install without the index pin..they fit tight enough were its not really needed.

Allen Humphrey
11-01-2013, 07:55
In my experience, all the pins are in the same location at about 2 o'clock as you have seen in the sight bases. A properly indexed barrel should have a matching spot for the pin. Pictures would help here for sure.

The pin location and the mounting of the base are important, because the barrel indexing mark is part of the sight base.

When you barrel is screwed in until the shoulder contacts the receiver, does the extractor cut land close to the correct position? It sounds like either the barrel shoulder has been cut back, or the receiver faced, or both, which would permit over rotation of the barrel. Pics needed I think.

contact Chuckindenver on this forum

Never mind:) I see Chuck posted right before me! talk to him.