PDA

View Full Version : 1903 barrel

dlc_aec
11-05-2013, 09:47
hello all,

ive just made a discovery that may force me to get a new barrel for my 1918 '03. I am not wanting to make this rifle correct, but I would like to be able to hit what I aim at.

what is the going rate for a good used barrel? and what should I look for in a barrel?

thanks for all the help,
douglas

Jim in Salt Lake
11-05-2013, 12:33
CMP sells new Criterion barrels for $200 with shipping. http://odcmp.com/Sales/accessories.htm You asked about used but if you're looking for a good shooter, these barrels are good.

Dave in NGA
11-05-2013, 03:11
Criterion is one way to go, but it will require some machining to get the rear sight base mounted. The last Criterion barrel I mounted for a friend had to have some lathe work and headspacing.

Another way to go is to purchase a 1903 barrel complete with both sight bases. This will cost a little more than the Criterion barrel but it will not be as involved to get it mounted and headspaced. You will probably need some guidance on what barrel to buy (some are better than others) and there are some dogs out there being passed off as 'good' barrels. Figure on $250-300 for the barrel and maybe another hundred to get the barrels changed out and the new one headspaced. I would guess you're looking at $350-400 either way you go.

dlc_aec
01-07-2014, 10:28
hello all,

ive got a couple more questions about the barrel on my '03. it was manu in 10-29, and sometime after that the 03 was converted to a civilian. is there ANY possibility the barrel wouldn't have had the key on the end for a military sight? ive looked closely at the end, and I cant see that there was ever a key there. however, its probably due to the grinding process that removed the key. its just odd that there is not an imprint of where the key was inserted.

how was the key put on those early barrels anyhow?

thanks,
douglas

George in NH
01-07-2014, 10:53
For the OP,
Sir,
Is it possible that the barrel on your rifle has been cut shorter? Barrel length should be right at 24 inches. A missing key way is usually a sign of a cut barrel. Or compare the crown on your barrel to a known original GI '03 barrel and the difference will jump right out at you. "03 barrel "keys" were milled in to the barrel. HTH, George in NH

dlc_aec
01-07-2014, 11:20
George,

nope, the barrel hasn't been bubbed. its a full 24" and has the stampings to prove it. that's what I thought at first too.
milled... that would explain why I cant see a separate key or the hole cut for it. there wasn't one. its the same metal. ok, that explains it.

thanks,
douglas

TDP0311
01-07-2014, 06:59
I have a 1903 barrel question for the experts... I am purchasing a barreled action for my 1903A1 USMC sniper repro, and it has a very nice 44 High Standard on it. However, while it was being sporterized, the rear sight collar was removed in a way that might leave me unable to put another one one- and if that is the case I will be in the market for a barrel.

Which barrels have proven to be the best?

Thanks!

purple
01-08-2014, 09:59
I have a 1903 barrel question for the experts... I am purchasing a barreled action for my 1903A1 USMC sniper repro, and it has a very nice 44 High Standard on it. However, while it was being sporterized, the rear sight collar was removed in a way that might leave me unable to put another one one- and if that is the case I will be in the market for a barrel.

Which barrels have proven to be the best?

Thanks!

I've recently re-barreled 2 Remington M1903s with NOS HS and SA 1944 dated barrels and they shoot equally well.