PDA

View Full Version : Springfield Rear Sight Value

Duane Hansen
11-05-2013, 11:50
Going through some of my stuff and ran across Two Rear 1903 Sights. They are both in excellent condition with great original blue finish. What should I ask for them when I put them up for sale?

Dave in NGA
11-05-2013, 03:15
Put them up for sale on Ebay. From what I'm seeing they are bringing insanely high prices. What I used to pay $20 dollars for not so long ago are now selling for $40-50. At one time there used to be countless numbers of these sights available on the surplus market. I think the government must have contracted for a couple sights for every replacement barrel they purchased. Now they seem to be getting harder to find.

Duane Hansen
11-05-2013, 03:29
Thanks Dave.............

Rick the Librarian
11-05-2013, 04:57
Duane, can you post some pictures? Just like M1911 parts, there were several variations, some worth more than others.

Duane Hansen
11-05-2013, 05:33
Looking at Brophy's Book on page 456 it looks like one is a type "B" and the other a type "E". Also have a type "C" windage knob.

I will try to get some pictures taken in the next day or so.

Rick the Librarian
11-05-2013, 05:49
Does the earlier one have the platinum "line" on the peep hole on the drift slide?

Duane Hansen
11-05-2013, 07:16
No platinum lines so it appears I don't really know what I have here.

One of the sights has a 2850 inlet on the top and this sight has very fine and fairly shallow number markings and the finish is a duller blue finish. The other has No sight inlet on top and has quite course and deep numbers on the slide by comparison. This second one has an R on the side of the slide and on the knurled knob. This also has a brighter Blued finish.