PDA

View Full Version : Rem 03A3 SN 3861019 - Small or Large TG?

Ironlip
11-12-2013, 01:43
I recently purchased a great looking Remington 03A3. Serial Number is 3861019, barrel date is 4-43, stock is RA marked and has pins. Plus the whole thing looks like it's been together a long time. Based on my research and experience I'm good with all of that.

There was one thing wrong with it. The cutoff was a Smith Corona. Since I've never heard about 03A3's having the "lateral support" that might explain a lot of otherwise improper M1 Carbine parts, I have to conclude that cutoff is a replacement.

The fact that the cutoff has been altered makes me wonder about another easily changed part, the trigger guard. So here's the question:

In the experience of the group should a Remington 03A3 with SN 3861019, which the calculated month end serial number chart by Mr. Hansen places as an August produced receiver, have a small or large bow trigger guard?

jgaynor
11-12-2013, 03:20
I will take a stab and say more than likely an August assembly would have used an unpadded, large bow guard. The finish, on an original, would have been blue.

Regards,
Jim

John Beard
11-12-2013, 06:44
Your rifle should have a large-bow trigger guard. But, a small-bow trigger guard cannot be considered incorrect. All design/manufacturing changes have an associated transition range. And your rifle falls at the far edge of that range. As Jim Gaynor says, just be sure that it has a blued finish.

Hope this helps.

J.B.