PDA

View Full Version : Rock Island 1903 info please.

jangle
11-12-2013, 07:20
Hello all,
I have a good friend who is looking for some basic information and valuation of what he has. I know photos are important to authenticate, but I do not have any.
He has a 1903 Rock Island rifle, #20406x with a 10-11 barrel date. The stock, which does not look to have been sanded and with a dark shiny patina, has a 1909 cartouche and a double "P" proof on the pistol grip, one small with a circle around it and one large.
The finish appears original with decent bluing. The rear right side of the receiver has a small hole (1/8") drilled into the side to mount want I would assume was a peep sight of some sort in the past. It is now filled with solder or lead?

His main questions are, does the barrel date coincide with the serial number, and is it possible for the stock with a 1909 dated cartouche to have been used on a rifle in this serial number range? The rifle also has a 1910 dated Rock Island sling and 1905 or 06 dated bayonet without the canvas covering. Any help in answering any questions or valuation would be most appreciated. Thanks!

TDP0311
11-12-2013, 07:58
The barrel sounds to be quite likely an original, as the RIA produced in 1911 a range of 201001‑210634. Is the hole you are referring to right below the serial number? Or is it farther back? It sounds like you are describing the gas port that should be below the serial number.

The stock might not be an original- and it sounds to have passed several inspections with whatever rifle it held at the time. About the 1909 stamp- are there any initials by it? Also, is the P proof mark a Block P or Scripted P?

The bayonet and sling are very cool by the way, and add to the value. I'm no expert by any means, so I wont estimate the value. If you get a chance to post pictures, please do so.

TDP0311
11-12-2013, 08:39
From the looks of it, the bayonet and canvas scabbard bring a fair amount of money by themselves... he just has the lone bayonet, right?

Rick the Librarian
11-12-2013, 09:40
Does the inspection stamp on the stock with the "1909" have a script "CN"?

John Beard
11-12-2013, 09:50
Hello all,
I have a good friend who is looking for some basic information and valuation of what he has. I know photos are important to authenticate, but I do not have any.
He has a 1903 Rock Island rifle, #20406x with a 10-11 barrel date. The stock, which does not look to have been sanded and with a dark shiny patina, has a 1909 cartouche and a double "P" proof on the pistol grip, one small with a circle around it and one large.
The finish appears original with decent bluing. The rear right side of the receiver has a small hole (1/8") drilled into the side to mount want I would assume was a peep sight of some sort in the past. It is now filled with solder or lead?

His main questions are, does the barrel date coincide with the serial number, and is it possible for the stock with a 1909 dated cartouche to have been used on a rifle in this serial number range? The rifle also has a 1910 dated Rock Island sling and 1905 or 06 dated bayonet without the canvas covering. Any help in answering any questions or valuation would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Answers to your questions are as follows:

(1) Yes.
(2) No.
(3) $700-$1200 with sling and bayonet.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

jangle
11-13-2013, 06:14
All, Thank you for the info.
I ask the owner to bring the rifle over this afternoon so I could take some photos of the areas of concern.
Hopefully, I can attach some photos which will give you gentlemen a better idea what he has.
Thanks again!

jangle
11-13-2013, 06:16
More photos...

jangle
11-13-2013, 06:19
more photos,

Rick the Librarian
11-13-2013, 06:37
The hole with the ruler is not a gas escape hole. It almost looks like someone tried to patch up a couple of holes drilled for a civilian rear sight, like a Redfield.

TDP0311
11-13-2013, 07:38
Never seen the script initial 1909 inspector stamp before- pretty cool. Bummer that a previous owner drilled a hole in the receiver...

John Beard
11-13-2013, 08:35
The rifle has limited collectibility and falls at the low end of my valuation.

In addition to the patched holes in the receiver:

(1) The rifle has been through arsenal overhaul and re-inspection,
(2) The handguard and rear sight fixed base (collar) have been replaced.
(3) The receiver was once painted silver, much of which has now worn off, exposing very little original finish underneath.
(4) The front sight cover is hiding a boogered-up front sight.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

J.B.

jangle
11-14-2013, 07:16
Thanks to everyone for your information. I will pass along to the owner.

Regards