PDA

View Full Version : German Mauser - What do you think ?

leecork
11-15-2013, 07:42
I own a number of very nice Mausers (Swedes, Persians, Argentines, etc.). But, I do not own a really good German Mauser. Worse, I don't know enough about them to spend the kind of money they command. So, I would appreciate your/any input and opinions on a rifle now listed on GunBroker. The auction number is "374268793". Please take a look at this German and give me your opinions ASAP. Thanks, Lee Hoffman

dave
11-15-2013, 09:43
Looks like a very nice rifle and will probably go for much more then the current 900 bucks. Seems all matched. Missing sight hood but they can be had. Most likely a GI bring back. The only thing I see is the stock finish, it is not correct, its has been stained. These stocks left the factory with no finish, see barrel channel, if stained at factory that would also be stained (dipped). They did not have a guy staining and being careful not to get channel stained! The soldiers may have added oil of some kind to them with use and of course they did get dirty. Also and I suspect in this case, the GI who sent this home did the staining. This was quite commen. I would not let this hold me back however, many of mine are the same others have no finish on them at all. These stocks are vertually water proof as they are glued to-gether with a very early type epoxy resin. Bring backs are very hard to come by, all dried up into collections or family's have gotten rid of them years ago!

dave
11-17-2013, 06:47
It would be nice to hear back from you??? Did you bid? did you see my post? what did you do? etc.

leecork
11-17-2013, 12:32
Dave, I will get back and let you know what happens. The auction has about 6 hours more to go. If the price continues to look reasonable, I plan to bid on it. Thanks for your review and the information you supplied me. It sure looks good to me. Lee

ebeeby
11-17-2013, 02:38
Leecork -
Some comments on the BNZ 42 here:

http://ww2weaponsforum.com/showthread.php?11074-bnz42

leecork
11-18-2013, 05:27
Nice rifle, but some questions regarding possible restamped numbers. Auction price exceeded
$ 2,200 so I gave up on it. Thanks everybody for the information.

dave
11-20-2013, 11:49
Nice rifle, but some questions regarding possible restamped numbers. Auction price exceeded
$ 2,200 so I gave up on it. Thanks everybody for the information.

Yes but restamped by who? Did anyone here ever try to restamp a rifle, pretty hard to do considering the hardness of most parts!