PDA

View Full Version : Inherited a Remington 03A3

Tymmay46
11-22-2013, 07:38
Hi I'm new here and just inherited this rifle. I'm still learning "what's what" on it and hoped if I posted some pictures you guys could give me a little info on it. Thanks in advance!

Quick back story, my stepmother's uncle was in the navy during the second war and I guess, from what I was told, was actually assigned to Tinian island during the atomic bomb mission. Now my first assumption is that that he acquired this rifle after the war and that it was redone since the trigger guard/floor plate is parkerized. All parts are marked "R" and the stock appears to have the, VERY faded, cross cannons as well as the FJA and either BA or RA. I have a few different angles to hopefully give you guys an idea of which one it might be. Also, on the rear left of the stock there is the OG and US. I know the OG is Ogden rebuild/review but can only guess the US is military marking? Also, what's confusing to me is the "P" is not circled. It is stamped deep so I don't think it was supposed to have a circle, but not sure. In front of the trigger guard/plate there only appears to be a triangle and a circle maybe stamped. I don't see another. I know the majority I saw had a few more stamps. The barrel also has two "P's" stamped into it as well as the end of the forearm has something stamped on the end. It looks like the four groove barrel with the (Gotham?) sight protector. This rifle does need cleaning but not as rusted as it looks. I know I'll have more questions later.
Thanks again and If you guys want more detailed or stripped down pics I will definitely do that!

Tymmay46
11-22-2013, 07:40
more pics

Tymmay46
11-22-2013, 07:41
...and the rest.

John Beard
11-22-2013, 07:58
You have a rifle that went through arsenal overhaul at Ogden Arsenal after WWII. During overhaul, the rifle was refinished and re-assembled from mixed parts. The stock had been through a prior overhaul at Benecia Arsenal, California.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

Tymmay46
11-24-2013, 04:01
Thanks for the reply! I love collecting these old war rifles.