PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous PMC 6.5X55 ammo?

Brad in Idaho
11-23-2013, 02:28
I seem to remember a lot of discussion years ago about some PMC ammo for Swedish Mausers being dangerous. It was supposed to be to hot for Swedish Mausers. Anyway I have some PMC ammo from back when. I have shot it in a couple of Swedes long ago and don't remember any problems. I found a slip of paper I put in an ammo can with some PMC that said the "hot loads" were PMC lot 6.5 MA-049. I don't have any of this lot.

Does anyone remember any of this? If so, were there any other lots in question?
TIA

dave
11-24-2013, 06:40
Don't remember that but the Sweds have chambered these rifles in 7.9x57, 9x62 and some other larger calibers so it hard to believe a "hot load"(whatever that means) would be dangerous. Now if you mean an overload mistake PMC considered dangerous and recalled that can be a different story. But those actions are strong!
Small ring---yes! So are 1903 Springfields and they have been used for some 'hot' loads too!

Brad in Idaho
11-24-2013, 07:21
Don't remember that but the Sweds have chambered these rifles in 7.9x57, 9x62 and some other larger calibers so it hard to believe a "hot load"(whatever that means) would be dangerous. Now if you mean an overload mistake PMC considered dangerous and recalled that can be a different story. But those actions are strong!
Small ring---yes! So are 1903 Springfields and they have been used for some 'hot' loads too!

I agree about the strength of the Swede actions. This may have been one of those internet rumors, I really can't remember all the details or if it was resolved one way or another. I think it had something to do with the type of powder used, but can't be sure. I don't remember there being any recall by PMC.

Col. Colt
11-24-2013, 11:16
If there was a recall, you will find it on the PMC website. The liability of killing or maiming someone from a KNOWN problem without action would bankrupt even a large firm like PMC. CC

Art
11-24-2013, 04:40
the 6.5x55mm was also the cartridge used by Norway in their Krags. Perhaps the ammo was a bit warm for Krags??

jon_norstog
11-25-2013, 03:38
Could be Art. I shot up a bunch of the stuff in my Swedes and a Ljungman, no problems whatever. Except with the Ljungman, good luck finding your braqss.

jn

Brad in Idaho
11-26-2013, 06:07
After looking in some other places, I find there were people griping about some PMC ammo being "hot", but not really causing any problems in Swedes. Just seemed to be some anecdotal comments with no evidence of any danger from firing it. I'm not worried about shooting it, and will probably do so this Friday. It's going to be "Swede Day" at the range. Thanks.

Clark Howard
12-27-2013, 12:29
I have been loading and shooting the 6.5x55 for years, without problems. In the late eighties, loose 6.5mm bullets were sold at gunshows that miked out to .267". Although I never heard of any problems with these bullets, I did trash several hundred just to be sure. Regards, Clark

gulliver62
12-28-2013, 04:55
I have limited experience with PPU 139g FMJ. I have purchased this 3-4 times to build up my brass stock for reloading and never had a problem with it in my M96 and M38. Not as accurate as my reloads but quite serviceable.