PDA

View Full Version : GI Rifle Grease

RCK
11-26-2013, 12:08
What is the consensus on using GI rifle grease for long term storage of rifles, including on all metal parts? I have discussed this with a gunsmith and he said the grease can turn acidic over time and do damage. Others said that it is not a problem except it can dry up over time and form a sort of varnish on the metal surfaces and in the barrel. If it is a problem, what other long term storage coatings are better?

jgaynor
11-26-2013, 12:19
You might want to consider a greaseless alrenative.
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/shop-accessories-supplies/gun-storage-materials/gun-storage-bags/rifle-shotgun-storage-bag-sku080000823-42749-79038.aspx

or just google vapor phase inhibitor

Fred
11-26-2013, 12:30
How long of Long Term Storage are you intending? I used to use GI grease inside the bores and outside of all exposed metal parts of my guns whenever I had to keep them at my parents house in their basement while I was away for college. I only took them out and cleaned them off in the summer. The grease was still OK. Are you thinking of going away for several years? I can't think of a problem that would ensue.

John Beard
11-26-2013, 01:43
You are not clear regarding which GI rifle grease you have in mind. If you mean cosmoline, it's an excellent preservative. But it sure is sticky and messy and stains!

Another GI rifle grease is lithium-based and is intended as a water-resistant lubricant. I suppose it may be o.k., but may tend to stain.

I do NOT recommend vapor phase inhibitor. Vapor phase inhibitor has lots of challenges and is intended only for very long term storage in a sealed container. It is NOT intended for rifles that might be handled or used occasionally.

And, finally, I recommend Rust-Inhibiting Grease (RIG). It's thin, clear, does not stain, is available from Brownell's, reasonably priced, and it causes cancer in California! :icon_lol: What more could you ask for?

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

J.B. :hello:

Dick Hosmer
11-26-2013, 11:26
Hey, I live in CA!

Johnny P
11-27-2013, 07:22
Unless you are talking about really long term storage, LPS 3 is very good, and easy to remove. It is a preservative spray containing wax. It sprays on and the carrier evaporates leaving a wax coating. The wax doesn't harm the wood, and an oily rag will remove it.

chuckindenver
11-27-2013, 08:02
m14 rifle grease. usually dated 1957 to 1965. dark green tub...best grease ever...i use it daily.. have yet to find a better protector of finishes...
M1 Garand grease in the small container is the same type...

IditarodJoe
11-27-2013, 09:41
And, finally, I recommend Rust-Inhibiting Grease (RIG). It's thin, clear, does not stain, is available from Brownell's, reasonably priced, and it causes cancer in California! :icon_lol: What more could you ask for?
Mr Beard is always an invaluable contributor to this forum. At times . . . he's PRICELESS! :D

BTW +1 on RIG

emmagee1917
11-27-2013, 11:26
Some people have then sealed them in those heavy food storage bags . The kind where you suck the air out , then heat seal it shut. They have big , long roles of material that's fairly reasonable in cost.
Chris

tbone69
11-28-2013, 02:08
been using RIG since the 70's with no rust issues. best I have found I use a small patch of sheep skin to apply.