PDA

View Full Version : M1903, '06 Receiver, Remington Stock Questions

zeewad
12-02-2013, 10:52
Sorry, no pictures. A friend showed me his M1903 that was one of 6 that his dad had bought for the 6 kids many years ago. Now that the children are older, they have 1 rifle each.

I'm still trying to find out if the dad bought them through the DCM or what. He still has a box that they were in.

My buddy's rifle is a Springfield, 227,xxx, I really don't remember the rest of the numbers, but I looked it up for him and it's a 1906 receiver. It shows some wear, but I'm not sure if it was reparked or not. I realize it's a low number receiver. I already warned him about the heat treating issue. The barrel is an SA, May 1915, fairly nice shape inside too.

The receiver has 2 holes, one on each side. I assume the right hand side is the "Hatcher Hole" due to the low numbered receiver?

It has a Remington bolt, stamped "R", and is swept back.

The stock has stampings "FJA" and the "Crossed Cannons" on the left side and the "Flaming Bomb" at the stock tip . I think that means the stock is a Remington from 1943, correct me if I'm wrong? Definitely showing some usage, but a real nice stock. It's a straight stock too.

One question I have is would they have rebuilt the rifle during or after the war using the old receiver on this stock? Or would this stock only be used for a brand new receiver? There are a whole bunch more stampings in front of the trigger guard on the wood. (I know, I better get some pictures from him.) I'm guessing at the very least it's a mix-master.

I realize it could have been rebuilt by anyone, including the DCM, but could this combination have been rebuilt to the stock while using old receivers and adding new parts as needed for the war? Thanks for any information. I'm still learning and always wondering about what may have been done back in the day.

CptEnglehorn
12-02-2013, 11:06
Almost certain thats a 1903A3 stock that was used for the rebuild, is that the only markings on it for sure, usually theres another rebuild stamp, but I have seen some without as in your case. It could have been a wartime rebuild or post war. It must not have been used much to retain that barrel. Pictures would be a great help as we would be able to see if there might suspicion of parts being swaped or the rifle being a put together. Id definatley say that that combination would be possible for wartime use, they needed rifles, and they had parts on had, whatever it took to make it serviceable and meet standard was done. More experienced individuals will chime in. The left side hole is the hatcher hole, the FJA if you hadnt already discovered in research is for Frank J. Atwood.

chuckindenver
12-04-2013, 07:20
sounds like a gunshow parts gun...without pics, its hard to say