PDA

View Full Version : A question about todays sniper rifle

BudT
12-02-2013, 04:44
I assume that the issue sniper rifle today is still based on a Rem. 700 action. If this is correct has the bolt been altered to use the Sako type extractor or retains the stock type Remington extractor.

BudT

Marine A5 Sniper Rifle
12-02-2013, 06:20
Why would they change the bolt?

They (our armed forces) have multiple rifles now, and several calibers.

jt

older than dirt
12-02-2013, 06:40
Why would they change the bolt?

They (our armed forces) have multiple rifles now, and several calibers.

jt

Don`t mean to high-jack the OP, but how`s Old Rosy doing these days? Do you still put one through her now & then.

BudT
12-02-2013, 07:04
Because Remington extractors can and do break, a gunsmith I know replaced 5 this last month. Four of them were on "new" one year old or less rifles one was a few years old. Some people are having the bolt/extractor changed out to the Sako type. The normal/standard US military is a Rem. .300 Win mag of course there is nothing on them thats factory by the time they are issued but they use them to build up a sniper rifle. Yes they use several calibers and platforms but the 700 is the basic form for the .300 Win mag. At times I hunt with a .300 Win mag it all depends on what I am hunting and where, if I'm in a area known to have a griz bear I carry my .300 loaded with a all copper slugs besides they work great on the game to. I want and demand that I have "positive 100%" extraction with none of the OH **** stuff. I can not imagine any of our armed forces wanting one of those OH **** moments. I was wanting to find out if they changed them out in the build or stuck with the factory type.If it's good enough for our military it's good enough for me. HTH

BudT

rickgman
12-03-2013, 12:40
Bud, I can't answer your specific question but you might want to try to obtain a copy of the tech manual for this weapons system which is TM 9-1005-306-10, Operator's Manual for 7.62 mm M24 Sniper Weapon System (SWS) dated 23 June 1989. It likely will contain the detail you are interested in. Good luck! Rick

jgaynor
12-03-2013, 07:30
You might want to float your question by the guys over at this site:
http://forum.snipershide.com/sniper-hide-gunsmithing/

They seem to be very big into customizing and tuning the contemporary sniper rifles.

Regards,
Jim

Marine A5 Sniper Rifle
12-03-2013, 04:56
Don`t mean to high-jack the OP, but how`s Old Rosy doing these days? Do you still put one through her now & then.

Shoots fine. Really fun to shoot, but a tad expensive to dump 120 grs of powder into one case. Commercial rounds are $6/each.

jt

raymeketa
12-03-2013, 05:10
The SAKO type extractor in a Remington M700 bolt is a wreck just waiting to happen. With many of the sniper loads being of the warm to hot persuation I would not think it wise to make such an alteration unless they included the SAKO type safety ring as well. But, that's only my opinion and the issued rifles may very well have such a mod.

JMHO

Ray

chuckindenver
12-12-2013, 07:17
M16 or Sako extractor...no...
standard Remington extractor.
the Remington 40x 700 platform is the standard...but many other varations of sniper rifle are in service.

BigMo
12-12-2013, 11:02
No the Rem 700 rifles in service have their standard extractors in them.
The other rifles have theirs............