PDA

View Full Version : 1911 new build in 9mm advice.

barretcreek
12-06-2013, 04:35
Yeah, I know. "Why?" Well I have a half dozen .45s and I want something I can shoot cheaper, almost as cheap as .22. And maybe get a .38 Super barrel for the hell of it.

Anyway. What are the pros and cons of getting a receiver which is cut out for ramped barrels FOR 9mm USE. Not gonna use it for .45. I am sure if the guy who pries it out of my cold dead fingers (with an empty magazine) sells it he'll get more money for a gun with a ramped barrel. But for shooting cast bullets loaded up but not trying to compete with a Super, is there any real advantage to using a ramped barrel in a 9?

It will be steel, not alloy.

Dick Craig
12-09-2013, 02:39
For what it's worth I wanted a 1911 in 9mm an found a Rock Island Tactical. It is not the prettiest and it does not a ramped barrel but that has not been a problem. It feeds great except for three of the magazines I bought that direct the round directly into the frame about 1/4 inch below the ramp. I blamed the gun until the problem showed to be three bad mags that I grabbed one after the other during a match. I numbered the mags and retired the culprits. By the way the Rock Island is reasonably priced in todays market. Dick OFC

BlitzKrieg
12-10-2013, 11:38
Colt 1911 purist here and it pains me to say this.
I compared the Springfield Armory , Kimber and Taurus 1911a1 in 9mm
and all were steel and nice weapons. For $450 out the door the Taurus was
a steal and little risk so I got it.

I hate to say this: 12, 850 rds fired and it has never stuttered or had a issue.
Its a fine pistol. It has a ramped barrel and feeds like a dream with all ammo.

I only got a 9mm version as my Colt Ace in 22LR was problematic in accuracy for
warm up drills and the 9mm with cast bullets was cheaper to shoot than 22LR and
gave more recoil in practice. My main event is 45acp 1911a1 shooting so either a
22LR or 9mm was okay for knocking my cobb webs off and getting me focused.

I would have no issue buying a RIA 1911 in 9mm but don't know if barrel is ramped: I think this helps
with 9mm feeding.

joem
12-10-2013, 12:17
You might look into a Star B in 9mm. Pretty much the same size as a 1911 style perhaps a bit thinner.

barretcreek
12-20-2013, 08:27
Just spoke to Caspian. They are the only folks who list a dedicated .38 Super/9mm choice for their frames with a fixed ramp as opposed to a frame cut for a ramped barrel. We spoke about the application and Gary said they make frames shaped for the .38S/9 but not too many dealers stock them. He said I can return my PRISTINE (my emphasis) frame for an exchange or for a modest fee get it cut. Think I'll buy a new frame-a Caspian. Good folks.