PDA

View Full Version : Rare 1911 Colt sold at auction

Mike Josephic
12-13-2013, 11:31
At the latest RIA auction held last week, a 1911 Colt Army sold for $69K. It was shipped in March 1912, serial number 1172. It has Colt factory letter. Here's the link:

http://www.rockislandauction.com/viewitem/aid/60/lid/3559

These old colts with the "niter blued" small parts are beautiful!!

Johnny P
12-14-2013, 06:30
Beautiful 1911. According to Clawson Colt did not use the niter blue process. At Colt the small parts were done in the same furnace but put in a cast iron pot with the same mixture of charcoal and bone that was used in the furnace to blue the slide and receiver. The niter process used a mixture of niter, saltpeter, and oxide of manganese heated in a cast iron pot to 800 degrees F.

SloopJohnB
12-14-2013, 10:31
Sweet!

KeithNyst
12-14-2013, 11:37
Can't say enough about that one. When I see one like this, I am amazed at how a pistol could remain in that condition for over 100 years. Thanks for sharing the link.

Duane Hansen
12-14-2013, 01:06
Probably in someones sock drawer for the last 85 years! Definately a beauty and since they aren't making any more of these, that I know of, I predict that even at the price that was realized in this auction, the prices will continue to go up especially on the Real Nice stuff.

Johnny P
12-14-2013, 02:53
It's a pretty good bet that No.1172 did not have a long military career. Also, if it had belonged to someone that shot just a box or two every now in then, it would look nothing like it does today.

westgard
12-14-2013, 05:42
It is certainly a beautiful piece! A lucky buyer and seller!

Mike Josephic
12-14-2013, 11:16
Thanks Johnny for your info. If "niter blue" is not the correct name for this then what would the correct term be? Just
curious since I see that term tossed around when these old Colts are discussed. Thanks.

Johnny P
12-15-2013, 06:51
"Niter Blue" comes from the use of niter in that bluing process. Colts was simply a heat blue as we don't refer to the slide and receiver as being niter blued. The process for bluing the small parts was almost identical except for being placed in the cast iron pot, probably as a way of keeping up with the small parts.

We often see the term "Charcoal Blue" used on the older Colt pistols like the Single Action Army, but the process was the same as used on the early Model 1911. At around 1912 Colt discontinued the mirror like polish on all it's handguns, and this resulted in a completely different appearance of the blue even though the bluing process was the same.

kwill
12-15-2013, 09:15
Thanks Johnny for your info. If "niter blue" is not the correct name for this then what would the correct term be? Just
curious since I see that term tossed around when these old Colts are discussed. Thanks.

"Fire blue" is generally what it is called.

Johnny P
12-15-2013, 05:33
Niter bluing is generally called fire blue also.

George in NH
12-17-2013, 09:51
I see damage to three of the four grip screws. I doubt that the men at Colt at that time would do work like that and let the pistol leave the factory. On another note, how is the magazine catch removed from the pistol since it lacks the groove in the head? TIA, George in NH

oldcanuck
12-17-2013, 03:50
...... or Peacock Blue occasionally.

Johnny P
12-17-2013, 05:57
I see damage to three of the four grip screws. I doubt that the men at Colt at that time would do work like that and let the pistol leave the factory. On another note, how is the magazine catch removed from the pistol since it lacks the groove in the head? TIA, George in NH

On the early pistols the early screw heads were thin and the slots were very shallow, and were easily deformed. The screw heads were made thicker and the slots deeper. The magazine catch lock was originally designed so that it couldn't be easily removed, but this was soon changed.