PDA

View Full Version : 1911a1 USGI recoil spring direction

gun_collector
12-17-2013, 10:44
Does it matter which end of the recoil spring goes into the guide rod? The spring is closed on one end and firs tight on the guide rod. On the other end the spring is more open.

Major Tom
12-18-2013, 04:56
I cannot answer your question. When I disassemble any pistol, I lay out the parts as they come off in the position they were in the assembly. I would think tho that it does not matter which end goes where.

Johnny P
12-18-2013, 06:14
Yes. One end is made smaller to go over the recoil spring guide, and the other end is larger and open so that it will hook in the detent in the recoil spring plug.

Scott Gahimer
12-18-2013, 09:29
The reason it's correct as Johnny states is to keep the parts together when you have to disassemble the pistol. The point is to not have the plug flying off somewhere in the dark, and then have the spring fall out on the floor/ground.

SPEEDGUNNER
12-19-2013, 05:49
If I am not careful, the direction mine usually goes is somewhere across the room into an inaccessible area...

Ken Hill
12-19-2013, 08:10
The reason it's correct as Johnny states is to keep the parts together when you have to disassemble the pistol. The point is to not have the plug flying off somewhere in the dark, and then have the spring fall out on the floor/ground.

Scott's right, especially bad at a gun show. :eusa_wall:

Any ideas where/when the double closed end springs started. I sure they are not mil-spec or Colt.

Merry Christmas y'all!

Scott Gahimer
12-19-2013, 12:34
Clawson shows the modern springs in his Government Models book. The first had one closed end, then the latter both.

However, if you are talking about closed, as in tight, that was the 1st variation Colt.

Ken Hill
12-19-2013, 06:37
Clawson shows the modern springs in his Government Models book. The first had one closed end, then the latter both.

However, if you are talking about closed, as in tight, that was the 1st variation Colt.

I'll have to look. I don't visit the Gov't Models book that often and should. Thanks.

Ken Hill
12-20-2013, 07:22
Scott,
Neither of the pictures in The Government Models book illustrate what I am looking for. I fielded the question and really didn't know where they came from. Having gone thru many springs (mostly Wolfe) in making and rebuilding BE guns, I thought these were used with FLGR set ups which I don't bother with. Here's what I'm after

RayD
12-20-2013, 06:36
Hi All, Look at your barrel plug. On US Issue M1911A's it will have a "stab " mark. This was a modification so that the stab mark, when correctly assembling/ disassembling the weapon, would capture the "hook" or open end of the recoil spring. This prevented the plug from going airborne during disassembly when under spring pressure. Twist the plug to capture the end of the recoil spring and future disassembly will not involve a hunt for the spring propelled plug.

Scott Gahimer
12-20-2013, 07:45
Scott,
Neither of the pictures in The Government Models book illustrate what I am looking for. I fielded the question and really didn't know where they came from. Having gone thru many springs (mostly Wolfe) in making and rebuilding BE guns, I thought these were used with FLGR set ups which I don't bother with. Here's what I'm after

That's a post-1970 aftermarket spring. I don't know who makes it.

Jon Field
12-28-2013, 05:48
Small end on guide rod as mentioned above!

Scott Gahimer
12-28-2013, 09:25
Small end on guide rod as mentioned above!

That's the problem. There is no small end on the post-1970 with both closed ends. They won't stay on the guide either way.