PDA

View Full Version : Smith Corona 1903a3 with remington barrel

Mitchsnap
12-18-2013, 07:38
Hello to all. New to this forum. Considering purchasing a Smith Corona 1903a3 that is supposed to be in superb condition. For the moment the main concern I have is it has a Remington barrel. There was mention on a forum regarding this. Checked Brophy's book and there was no mention of Remington supplying barrels for the SC.
There is a user name Martin B that commented on SC having startup and production problems and may have used some Remington parts for production. I could not find any info to support this.
I have not seen the rifle yet but the S/N dates to I believe 1944. Check out the pics and let me know your thoughts.. Thanks to all.

Mitchsnap
12-18-2013, 07:40
Here is another pic. Can only post 5 at a time.

Dad
12-18-2013, 08:33
Pictures are too small to be too helpful, but it has a Remington trigger guard and the stock looks sanded.

D.

pickax
12-18-2013, 10:15
From pics shown, besides the barrel, stock, trigger gaurd floorplate , and bolt sleeve are also remington. Yes stock looks refinished to me also, but that can be fixed. Buttplate looks correct.
More detailed pics needed. Also, Mr Beard has supplied a list on correct features of S/C rifles. A thread search here would probably turn it up.

Mitchsnap
12-18-2013, 10:26
So getting back to my original question. I'm assuming that this gun was not issued in its original configuration as you see it. It seems as if it may have been re-arsenal. What value would you put on it in its present condition??

John Beard
12-18-2013, 01:18
Seasons' Greetings!

Your rifle has been arsenal repaired or overhauled, re-barreled, and re-assembled from mixed parts. The R.A./8-44 barrel was originally manufactured as a spare replacement barrel for use in overhaul and is original to no rifle except an arsenal overhaul. In addition to the Remington parts mentioned previously, the rifle also has a Remington stock.

The rifle is valued in the $600-$800 range if it has a good bore.

Hope this helps. Merry Christmas!

J.B.

Dad
12-18-2013, 01:27
It definitely did not leave the SC plant in its present configuration.
The following parts are Remington; stock (boxed FJA stamp), barrel, trigger guard.
The bolt body is a replacement (B&S ?), the bolt sleeve is not SC.
The butt plate looks to be SC.
If you are looking for a shooter make sure of the barrel condition.

If you are looking for a collectible rifle I would pass.

In my part of the country, As a shooter, assuming it has a great barrel and functions correctly, it would go for $550-650 in a private sale, at a gun shop they would be asking $700-1000.

To bring it back to all SC is going to take some time and $$$
Of course you could sell the Remington parts and barrel to make it more cost effective, but it still would not be worth it.

D.

Mitchsnap
12-18-2013, 02:37
Thanks for everyone's responses. I offered the person $300 for the gun. I was really looking as it being more of a collectible rifle. I have a correct 1903A3 Remington and a Mark one. This one obviously will just be a good shooter.

Rick the Librarian
12-18-2013, 04:18
Mixmaster or not, $300 would be an excellent price for the rifle, if accepted.

Mitchsnap
12-18-2013, 06:27
Seller accepted my offer. Will inspect tomorrow..........

Mitchsnap
12-18-2013, 06:44
So if the stock has a cartouche mark of FJA, does that make it a Remington stock???

Dad
12-18-2013, 07:52
The FJA stamp belonged to Lt Col Frank J. Atwood and was used on new manufacture Remington stocks.
See the following link.
http://m1903.com/isstamps.htm

Go got a great deal on the rifle!
How's the bore?

D.

Mitchsnap
12-18-2013, 07:57
Ok so does anyone have a pic of what a SC stock would have regarding any markings???
Just wondering what to look for the next time I see an SC 1903A3....

The FJA stamp belonged to Lt Col Frank J. Atwood and was used on new manufacture Remington stocks.
See the following link.
http://m1903.com/isstamps.htm

Go got a great deal on the rifle!
How's the bore?

D.

John Beard
12-18-2013, 08:31
So if the stock has a cartouche mark of FJA, does that make it a Remington stock???

Seasons' Greetings!

No. Both Remington and Smith-Corona stocks were marked with "F J A".

At $300, don't bother inspecting the rifle. Just hand the seller the money and leave quickly before he changes his mind!

On a Smith-Corona stock, one of the numbered symbols stamped in front of the trigger guard is a diamond.

Hope this helps. Merry Christmas!

J.B.

Mitchsnap
12-19-2013, 11:54
$300 later I picked up the rifle. Most of the parts on it are Remington. I'll try to post some pictures later.