PDA

View Full Version : early Rock Island stock markings

RCS
12-27-2013, 09:33
I have some photos of two Rock Island single stock bolt stocks with some unusual stock markings. These marking appear to have been professionally marked and could be US Naval markings ? any opinions ?

Rick the Librarian
12-27-2013, 11:15
The markings on the second picture appear to be armory rack numbers - the last picture I'll defer.

Mike D
01-01-2014, 04:43
I have some photos of two Rock Island single stock bolt stocks with some unusual stock markings. These marking appear to have been professionally marked and could be US Naval markings ? any opinions ?

Robert - Can you tell what the letters are on the stock in the third photo? Could they be "L.T.T."? Has the stock been with the rifle for a while? WWII rebuild?

Mike

RCS
01-01-2014, 06:42
Mike, I first thought it was a L.T.T. stamp but not so certain after looking over the markings - but I could be wrong. This stock was painted white when I got it, it has a single stock bolt and straight left side without any indication of rebuild. I put on a four digit CMP receiver with a early pre WW1 barrel. Rear sight is interesting too.

John Beard
01-01-2014, 08:05
Seasons' Greetings!

Your photos are reasonably convincing that the stamp is "L.T.T."

Hope this helps. Happy New Year!

J.B.

RCS
01-02-2014, 09:40
What would be the time period of the L.T.T. rebuild stamp ?

Mike D
01-02-2014, 02:54
What would be the time period of the L.T.T. rebuild stamp ?

I have in my notes that JB says the "L.T.T." (hand stamped) has been observed on newly built (from spare parts) M1903A1's in the 1941-42 time period. I will say that I have not seen the stamp except on the C-stock. And that is limited knowledge. That is why it caught my attention.

Mike

RCS
01-02-2014, 03:31
That Rock Island stock is early, you would almost think that the second stock cross-bolt would have been added during a rebuild ? but I have to admit that I have found SA and Rock Island stocks still around with the single cross bolt (but without rebuild stamps)

Robert