PDA

View Full Version : Looking for war time pics of USMC 03 sniper with A3 trigger guard

Johnny in Texas
01-08-2014, 11:17
I was told they exist but never seen one

John Beard
01-08-2014, 12:44
Seasons' Greetings!

Some WWII USMC snipers were issued M'03-A4 rifles. And they have A3 trigger guards. Other than those, I recommend that you not hold your breath while looking for others.

Hope this helps. Happy New Year!

J.B.

blackhawk2
01-08-2014, 06:11
Mr. Beard, When was the 03A4 trigger guard with the tab first implemented?....thank you....regards alex

jgaynor
01-09-2014, 07:24
There is no A4 "trigger guard" per se. The large bow winter guard was approved in Nov 42 for use on the a3 and a4. It appears to have actually gone into production (appearing on assembled rifles) in mid 43. The magazine box assembly with the "pad" behind the front guard screw was a general engineering modification to all a3's and a4's. It apparently went into production around Oct 43.

chuckindenver
01-09-2014, 07:47
the pad was done more likely to prevent cracking in that area..rather then accuracy..

John Beard
01-09-2014, 09:07
the pad was done more likely to prevent cracking in that area..rather then accuracy..

I beg to differ.

J.B.

Randy A
01-09-2014, 10:44
I'm sure some may disagree, but I've seen more of the padded TGs that were cracked than the non padded ones. I believe the pad created somewhat of a fulcrum that made the problem worse. I also believe the pad was to extend the service life of the stock. On non padded rifle stocks the thin lips of the TG cut into the stocks and sunk in, changing the fit with prolonged use, diminishing clamping force.
As far as the OP, I've seen war time photos of A4s with 1903 TGs on them but only heard of the other combination. I can't imagine why anyone would want an A3 TG on an M1941? I thought they liked the removeable floor plate for cleaning and unloading.

Kurt
01-09-2014, 10:55
Some and some?

Kurt

chuckindenver
01-11-2014, 07:36
i have some 50 or so cracked guards just behind the front guard screw, all are sans the pad...have not seen any padded guards with a crack in that area yet..not saying they wont...just havnt seen any..
so...i stand by my assesment...
had NOTHING to do with making the rifle accurate, and NOTHING to do with a snipers rifle.. if that were the case...Smith Corona wouldnt have made them as well.
field stripping the A3 done in a haste, the user pulled on the trigger guard loop, prying the rear up against the front..repeated use like this, cracks the guard..

Randy A
01-11-2014, 06:32
The cracks I'm referring to are the front bottom corners of the mag well where the floor starts to narrow. You're right, I haven't seen any of them broke where you are describing. I agree on the "not a sniper thing" , several years ago someone published that it "was" and people overlook the fact that you pointed out (SC made them too).

chuckindenver
01-12-2014, 08:10
i did post pictures a couple years ago, of the large lot of broken guards...most were broken were the turn in the metal is, just foward of the mag box.