PDA

View Full Version : Barrel diameter question

GBEAR1
01-18-2014, 06:30
I have a sporterized mauser. It has a GEW 98 1904 receiver with imperial markings attached to a nazi marked barrel. My question is since the barrel is Nazi marked is it more than likely that the bore diameter is the later S diameter? In other words would the Germans have stamped nazi markings in an early diameter barrel? Thanks in advance for all help.

randy langford
01-18-2014, 10:08
You will be just fine shooting any 8 mm Mauser ammo in that rifle.

Liam
01-23-2014, 05:59
Since Mosin Nagant bore measurements can vary, I started to slug my bores when I questioned dimensions. This link is for a MN, but the theory and steps are the same:
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinSlug.htm

dave
01-23-2014, 08:08
Many of these rifles were converted to Kar.98k's in the 1930's. This may be one of them. Is the barrel stepped? Any other markings on it such as serial #? A little known fact is that when rifles were converted to the S dia. they were not rebored! The chamber throat was relieved so the case could expand and release the bullet. There was not enough differance in bore (318 to 323) to cause unduly hi-pressure. By the time nazi stamps came into being the barrel would have proper bore & throat.