PDA

View Full Version : Just wond'run' out loud . . . .

JimF
01-21-2014, 10:08
Does anyone here think a new stock for our '03's would sell if it was manufactured by someone who could actually follow the dimensions as put down by the original Springfield Armory back in the 1920's?

I'm looking at the so-called "National Match Special" as offered by SA back in the 1924-1928 period.

It looks to me to be a great looking chunk of lumber . . . . having a standard military forend, but the butt-end in the "NRA Sporter" configuration.

I sure would like to see one!

What-cha' think Ric, J.B., Herschel?

Cosine26
01-21-2014, 10:22
As a point of interest, I have only seen, very briefly, one Natinal Match Special. I was a Line Officer at one of our DCM matches conducted to qualify shooters for the purchase of an M1. I saw it and asked the shooter about it. He said that it belonged to his grandfather. I told him it was a very valuable rifle and that he should take good care of it. Unfortunately, by the time I had a break ,the shooter had finished firing and had left the range. I did not get his name or any details.

John Beard
01-21-2014, 09:10
A demand exists for reproductions of all M1903 stock varieties. And some demand exists for a National Match Special stock. But reproducing the stock is only half the challenge. You would also need to reproduce the buttplate and the screws because they don't exactly "grow on trees." National Match Special stocks are very scarce. I've only seen a few.

A large challenge with reproduction stocks is cost. If the reproducer aspires to sell any significant quantity, then the cost will have to be competitive with other stock alternatives. If stocks are custom made and require a lot of hand work with associated cost, then only a few collectors with a valuable rifle needing a stock will be interested.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

PeteDavis
01-22-2014, 06:08
These things also take a lot of wood. A lot of the stock duplicators don't want to deal with them.

chuckindenver
01-23-2014, 07:57
agree, most stock blanks are too short, iv tried to have a few stock makers help out...no dice...