PDA

View Full Version : Gun show single bolt stock

rayg
01-26-2014, 07:59
Picked this out of a batch of a misc US and foreign stocks for sale. There were a number of 1903 stocks in the batch and I spotted this single bolt one among them.
Paid $150 for it which I thought was reasonable price as it would be a nice replacement for an early rifle with a wrong two bolt stock. There is a faint cartouche on the wrist and you can just make out the 1913 date.
The stock apparently didn't get any up grades as it still is high wood on the left side and the butt compartment has not been cut for the wooden parts container that I believe that alternation began around 1910.
Just wondering what the AW stamp might stand for, any opinions? Too bad the middle stamp was mostly destroyed. Maybe I can try to make out the stamp under those marks, Ray

RCS
01-26-2014, 08:41
This stock is also a single stock bolt, high wood stock and Rock Island, it has the front band screw hole relocated too. The buttstock also has a marking like your stock (might be a USN marking ? )

rayg
01-26-2014, 09:28
The stock I have is also a RIA as it has the large "S" on the stock tip. Navy use might be a good guess. Maybe the rifles on the ships didn't get the upgrades on a timely basis when recommended. Ray

RCS
01-26-2014, 10:00
Stock markings can mean a lot of things and proving any relationship to the military is difficult . The stock in these photos has the DAL cartouche and a faint TENN stamp on the right side by the magazine. The white markings have been there a long time, the serial number is among known USN rifles but still not a "hit" , barrel is SA 3-18.

TDP0311
01-26-2014, 12:01
RCS, very nice rifle! Perhaps this rifle could have been with the Marine detachment on the Tennessee. I realize it is impossible to prove anything, but the indicators are pretty intriguing.

RCS
01-27-2014, 06:14
Early shovel covers from the WW1 period and post WW1 period did in some cases have both the ships marking and USMC stamp. There might be other gear also marked too (bayonets)

As to the rifles - I have no idea

rayg
01-31-2014, 08:28
Picked this out of a batch of a misc US and foreign stocks for sale. There were a number of 1903 stocks in the batch and I spotted this single bolt one among them.
Paid $150 for it which I thought was reasonable price as it would be a nice replacement for an early rifle with a wrong two bolt stock. There is a faint cartouche on the wrist and you can just make out the 1913 date.
The stock apparently didn't get any up grades as it still is high wood on the left side and the butt compartment has not been cut for the wooden parts container that I believe that alternation began around 1910.
Just wondering what the AW stamp might stand for, any opinions? Too bad the middle stamp was mostly destroyed. Maybe I can try to make out the stamp under those marks, Ray

Well I couldn't make out what the middle stamping on the stock was. It appears to have been marked out using the same "W" and "A" die stamps and struck a number of times to stamp out the original marks.
I thought it was maybe a bit unusual for a 1913 cartouched stock to still be made in high wood and not cut for the parts container so I tried to look at the cartouche again thinking it might be a 08 which would be more inline with the lack of updates, but I really can't tell. You can not actually see the out line of the 1 in front of the last number though at some angles it appears there may be a 1 there but maybe not. I assumed it was there anyway. The last number does look like a 3 unless it's an 8 with the left part missing. The stock has a drop of oil on it. that makes the cartouche show up better.
Did Rock Island do the upgrades at the same times as the Springfield did? Ray