PDA

View Full Version : Help

motherofaMarine
01-26-2014, 01:11
My son sent home a 1903 Springfield (It has a hooded site and would have been issued to the Marine Corps) I would like to trace the serial numbers and find out more about it but do not know where to look.
It is wonderful and still had the original cleaning kit.
Thank You

Johnny P
01-26-2014, 01:27
Try this.

http://springfieldresearchservice.com/

John Kepler
01-26-2014, 05:50
SRS is the primary resource for your search as Johnny P has indicated. However, you have to be made aware that what you are asking is nearly impossible. The US Army wasn't all that interested in what firearms went where other than at Company-level. What records were kept at Springfield Armory were very deliberately destroyed in the late-1960's when the Armory was closed...that apparently included Contractor records as well (the M1903, in addition to Rock Island and Springfield Armories was produced under contract by Remington and Smith-Corona).

FWIW: The M1903 was made in 5 separate models, the M1903, the M1903A1, the M1903A2 (not really a rifle, but a sub-caliber artillery training device), the M1903A3 (the WW II version of the rifle), and the M1903A4 Sniper Rifle. All models of the rifle are clearly marked as such.

M1Riflenut
01-26-2014, 06:38
My son sent home a 1903 Springfield (It has a hooded site and would have been issued to the Marine Corps) I would like to trace the serial numbers and find out more about it but do not know where to look.
It is wonderful and still had the original cleaning kit.
Thank You

So what is the serial number?

Garden Valley
01-26-2014, 07:02
SRS is the primary resource for your search as Johnny P has indicated. However, you have to be made aware that what you are asking is nearly impossible. The US Army wasn't all that interested in what firearms went where other than at Company-level. What records were kept at Springfield Armory were very deliberately destroyed in the late-1960's when the Armory was closed...that apparently included Contractor records as well (the M1903, in addition to Rock Island and Springfield Armories was produced under contract by Remington and Smith-Corona).

FWIW: The M1903 was made in 5 separate models, the M1903, the M1903A1, the M1903A2 (not really a rifle, but a sub-caliber artillery training device), the M1903A3 (the WW II version of the rifle), and the M1903A4 Sniper Rifle. All models of the rifle are clearly marked as such.

I believe your statement to be incorrect with respect to the '03A1 and '03A4.

John Kepler
01-26-2014, 07:38

Huh????? In what way? Oh.....FWIW, I HAVE both an A1 and an A4, and since all I did was identify the rifles, I fail to see where I'm "incorrect"!

Weasel
01-26-2014, 08:11
A4's are not marked A4 they are marked A3.

John R.
01-26-2014, 08:19
Huh????? In what way? Oh.....FWIW, I HAVE both an A1 and an A4, and since all I did was identify the rifles, I fail to see where I'm "incorrect"!

John:

How were the M1903A1's marked? Mine is dated 1923 and has the full pistol grip stock but is rolled only Model of 1903 with NO A1.

Cheers,

John R.

Garden Valley
01-26-2014, 08:31

Well ...., if you state, "All models of the rifle are clearly marked as such." then you are incorrect. There were no rifles marked Model 1903A1 and there were no rifles marked Model 1903A4. That's where you are incorrect.

John Kepler
01-26-2014, 08:44
To Weasel.....if you have an A4 marked as an A3......Bubba did it, not Remington. My A4 is clearly marked as such (and I'm not sure how you'd know since most of the ID would be buried under the JR mount...the ID on a real A4 was moved to the side of the receiver and so can be clearly and completely read).....and I've provenance up the wazoo on the rifle to prove it's pedigree. I know that early A1's (maybe) were not clearly marked as such, and it got to the point that ANY 03 with a scant stock was considered an A1. But AFAIK, everything after around 1926 was marked as an A1....my A1, handed down from my Grandpa who bought it new at Camp Perry, is clearly marked as an A1 with a build-date in June, 1926

Garden Valley
01-26-2014, 10:09
To Weasel.....if you have an A4 marked as an A3......Bubba did it, not Remington. My A4 is clearly marked as such (and I'm not sure how you'd know since most of the ID would be buried under the JR mount...the ID on a real A4 was moved to the side of the receiver and so can be clearly and completely read).....and I've provenance up the wazoo on the rifle to prove it's pedigree. I know that early A1's (maybe) were not clearly marked as such, and it got to the point that ANY 03 with a scant stock was considered an A1. But AFAIK, everything after around 1926 was marked as an A1....my A1, handed down from my Grandpa who bought it new at Camp Perry, is clearly marked as an A1 with a build-date in June, 1926

The markings on early '03A4 rifles were partially obscured by the scope mount base, but they were shortly relocated to clear the scope mount, and they were still marked '03A3. If yours is marked '03A4 then Bubba did do that, or you need better glasses. If your grandfather's rifle is marked '03A1, then someone added the A1 marking. I would be pleased for you to prove me to be incorrect. How about posting photos of the two rifles you have referenced? I'm all but certain that everyone would enjoy expanding their knowledge base.

Weasel
01-26-2014, 10:28
Funny, my A4 is marked A3 done by Bubba at the Remington factory in 1943. You got more crap with you than a Christmas Turkey Kepler.

http://www.rockislandauction.com/photos/51/p_standard/XRH2-L-CU20-L.jpg

http://www.lsbauctions.com/wp-content/uploads/1903A42.jpg

musketshooter
01-27-2014, 07:38
Interesting. Please post pictures of your rare guns.

Kurt
01-27-2014, 11:16
In all fairness, on some 03A4 receivers, the 3 was x'ed out and a 4 stamped. Ie. 03AX4, this wasn't done during original manufacture but later at overhaul depots. I wasn't a standard practice however so although not common, it's not really considered rare.

Kurt

John Kepler
01-27-2014, 12:31
In all fairness, on some 03A4 receivers, the 3 was x'ed out and a 4 stamped. Ie. 03AX4, this wasn't done during original manufacture but later at overhaul depots. I wasn't a standard practice however so although not common, it's not really considered rare.

Kurt

You got it in one!

dave
01-27-2014, 12:47

Yeh, any rifle with a pistol grip stock became an A1, no matter when stock was put on, They were not marked A1 (same with A4's but scope and marking moved to side?)

rebound
01-27-2014, 12:51
John, still need an explanation for the 03 you have that is marked as an A1 ??

Crashyoung
01-27-2014, 04:38
My 1903 Springfield did not have an A1, but it did have 'Mark I' under the model.
My RIA has 1903, with no A1 after the model.
It seems to be many different ways to mark a receiver.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af262/jeffcrashyoung/DCP_1887_v1_zps1ff25c8c.jpg (http://s1014.photobucket.com/user/jeffcrashyoung/media/DCP_1887_v1_zps1ff25c8c.jpg.html)
SOME of the markings are fraudulent, especially on high dollar rifles.
I have seen receivers remarked with a pantograph on occasion, but
the markings of a rolled vs. pantograph are very obvious, if you know
the difference between them.
Other rifles have the receiver mutilated in an effort to disguise the rifle.
So, to state, this is the way, or that is the way, isn't cast in steel ;), but
it is a good starting point, especially between the older and newer rifles.

It is best to ask questions and post pictures, if there is any questions
about the rifle. There are many VERY knowledgeable people out there!
And I thank them all for answering my ignorant questions, THANKS PEOPLE!

Garden Valley
01-27-2014, 05:08
You got it in one!

I believe that is the most brief reply I have ever seen you post. Thus far you have merely latched on to a bone that was thrown your way. I would still like to see photos of your '03A1 and '03A4. Are we hoping for too much?

Crashyoung
01-27-2014, 05:44
To the mother of a Marine, Thank you and your son for his and your contribution to our country.

As to your rifle. There are three things we need to know for a fair assessment. The receiver make,
model, and serial number. The bolt should have markings to help determine the date of manufacture
as well as the handle configuration. The last thing is the barrel make and date, which is near the front sight.

Pictures of these markings also would help. If you can give us the information and pictures, we may be able
to give you a good idea about the rifle.

rebound
01-27-2014, 05:50
I believe that is the most brief reply I have ever seen you post. Thus far you have merely latched on to a bone that was thrown your way. I would still like to see photos of your '03A1 and '03A4. Are we hoping for too much?
Don't hold your breath.........

jgaynor
02-01-2014, 04:16
The markings on early '03A4 rifles were partially obscured by the scope mount base, but they were shortly relocated to clear the scope mount, and they were still marked '03A3.

This is incorrect. All production A4's were made with the nomenclature (MODEL 03-A3) moved to the side to clear the scope base. At least one A4 prototype was assembled on an 03-A1. Note it used side mount for scope and took full advantage of the Weaver's eye relief.
Regards,
Jim

bombdog
02-01-2014, 08:09
Wow, you guys can really hijack a post. To the original post, ma'am, thank you for your son's service and thank you for being a marine mom.
bombdog, out!

Crashyoung
02-02-2014, 12:39
I bet it scared Mom off...