PDA

View Full Version : I am proud owner of a M96 Swed now

Sliver Shooter
01-28-2014, 05:37
I won an auction on GB for a 1913 M96 Swed and I'm quite excited about it. I have heard for years how these are some finelly built rifles and very accurate too. The cartridge 6.5x55 is one of the best from what I read. I reading all I can and preparing to reload for it so I can spend some range time. Are there any guys on here that know anything about these rifles?:icon_lol:

leecork
01-28-2014, 06:08
I own four of these rifles and they are all great. They are finely built and very accurate. I also reload for them. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do.
Try the RELOADING forum for details.

JimF
01-28-2014, 07:35
Only negative I can think of, is the M96's have a very l-o-n-g throat . . . . Making it necessary to seat bullets pretty far out.

The follow-on, PURPOSE-built, Model 38's, on the other hand, have a better, shorter, throat (or, bullet seat)! --Jim

dryheat
01-30-2014, 12:57
Admittedly, I am a newbie at reloading, but I have a problem with my Swede reloads not chambering, ie; I can't close the bolt. Something to do with the shoulder. Might be the die I'm using is worn or something. Never-the-less, I have a very warm spot in my heart for the Swedish rifles. The first rifle I bought when I was 21 was a Swede model 96. The accuracy was something that made an impression on me and I've been a fan ever since.

Sliver Shooter
01-30-2014, 06:35
Dryheat, I have heard others talk of that problem on some of the other forums. I don't recall what was happening or what the solution is. I had a close friend, some years back, that was really into the Sweds for deer hunting. He had several rifles sporterized and scoped and over the years swore by the Sweds and that round. The one thing that always soured me was the length of drop the firing pin makes on the Sweds and Mauser 7MMs. I was told years ago that the ignition time was important to accuracy and a short drop rifle would be more prown to shoot better. Well, there may be something to that, I don't know but I have thrown that notion to the curb cause these Sweds are "UFDA NIDA" accurate. They are beautifully made and the fit is usually superb. Now I want more of them. I may have come down with a bug.:icon_lol:

gulliver62
02-06-2014, 07:06
I have had no problem reloading for the Swede. Using RCBS full length dies and loading to the Sierra lengths.
Buy some of the Privi ammo and reload the brass. Great results with the Nosler 140g CC bullet.
I love the Swedes, just beautiful and straight shooting rifles.

mike webb
02-14-2014, 07:08
The Swedes are probably THE most accurate military rifle on average of any model. Workmanship is first rate as well. I don't know about the slow lock time hurting accuracy. I friend of mine has one and he hovers right around the 1 inch to 1 1/4 inch for three shots off the bench AND THAT IS WITH ISSUE SIGHTS!!! To be fair the guy has phenominal eye sight as well.

dryheat
02-19-2014, 12:25
I've never had lock time issues with any Swede I've owned. K98's and other versions,yes, a whole lot of time spent getting from point A to point B.

Roofuss
03-01-2014, 08:46
Good luck with your Swede 96 !! Pictures ?
I am currently shopping for a model 38 { shorter version } if ya know of a nice one for sale ?

Dave in NGA
03-01-2014, 12:57
I own several swedish mausers and have fired many more. I've yet to encounter one that was not exceptionally accurate. I hand load for mine and I'm partial to the 140 grain Sierra bullets.

Roofuss
03-01-2014, 04:36
CONGRATS on your 1913 Swede purchase !!
I found a nice Swede 1899 model 96/38 on Gunbroker, today. Should see it next Friday . Only hope she shoots as good as the other 3 Mauser's I have, all do very well

dryheat
03-04-2014, 07:28
I'm sure you will like your 1899. Kind a shame it was cut down,but that's the history of the rifle and 38's are nice/cool/fun. I have two 1900's and a 1899(full length) and they all shoot as well as any other Swede I've owned.

jon_norstog
03-04-2014, 09:25
What the guys are saying. I've had a few swedes and they were all fine, accurate rifles. Workmanship far above modern standards. First one I got was from Dave and Debbie Floyd's shop in Flagstaff. Dave told me "this rifle will outshoot any Winchester or Remington you can buy out of the box. That may be true for all I know. My sense of it was those rifles could shoot closer than I could hold them.

jn